Extension cost and advise..... :)

1964 wrote Here's my 2p worth.

And here is my ten bobs worth.

Tuesday, this week you wrote in, as little boy lost, seeking advice on a price for your extension, as you had no idea whether you were on your head or your a**e, with regards to the quotes you had received.
Two people, Noseall and Freddy Merc, who both have a wealth of building experience, both kindly free of charge gave you an opinion as what to budget for.
Two days later, and after a couple of discussions with some one or other you are back as Mr Knowall, in as much as you feel the price should be £25k.
That is fine by me fellow, I wish you every success if you can do it for that figure, but let me educate you why a small good reputable builder can not compete with that.
Lets take a small builder, building couple of houses and couple extensions a year. Trying to keep 3 lads employed for 52 weeks a year and a subby sparks and plumber when needed.
He has possibly got them on p.a.y.e. so he has national insurance contributions to pay, weeks holiday Christmas, two weeks holiday summer. plus Bank Holidays.
Insurance, Public liability, Employers liability Contractors all risk and believe me, all risk costs an arm and leg.
He has got the levy to pay to C.I.T.B to go towards the barmy training schemes introduced by the government.
NHBC subscriptions every year.
He has got a J.C.B, a 3 tonne 360, a lorry and a couple of vans, scaffold, mixers, small dumper plus all the junk accumulated. So he has to pay a substantial rent for a small secure yard, plus he has had to buy all that lot.
All the vehicles have to be insured for business use, any driver. Thats not cheap fellow.
He has got possibly £3k of hand and power tools, and they don’t grow on trees.
He is VAT registered so he employs a women two days a week to keep the books up to date to pay the VAT man every quarter.
He employs an accountant at the end of year to audit books and for cooperation tax. His far from being cheap either.
If it is raining, snowing or freezing and no work is done, then it is his loss.
If BCI does not turn up until late in day for inspection of say foundations, and day is lost it is his loss.
The time spent in builders merchants and petrol used, picking up materials is his loss.
The time spent pricing your job is his loss.
I could go on and on, but just two more things I want to say. Discounts are based on what we spend, and to be competitive if we get 25%, we take 10% and pass the other 15% on to client, allowed for in our quotation.
Next time you go to Tesco, ask them if they will arrange an account at their suppliers so that you can bypass them with your shopping.
Its like last week a fellow phoned up for a price for extension and said he had had fourteen quotes so far, but was unable to afford them. Was it you by any chance?
Every success in your venture.
old un. :D

Sponsored Links
I know all the builders on here will say that's impossible, won't be done right etc etc

You were certainly accurate with this statement Steve!

Actually you were right with most of your other statements, to a degree, but you mention a lot of different conditions required in order to keep the total cost down, and you've got to be bloody lucky to score on each and every one.
You also have to be fairly clued up on the whole process from start to finish, which the average punter wanting an extension isn't, so no points there either.

Sponsored Links
as little boy lost, seeking advice on a price for your extension, as you had no idea whether you were on your head or your a**e

Someone got out of bed the wrongside :cry:

@ theoldun

I asked for ball park figures as the quotes i got were a big difference.

Like i said after research it can be done and it would annoy the builders on here. Sorry

It's like any profession. Do you take your car to an audi garage for a service or a reputable backstreet garage? Both do the same job yet one costs alot more than the other and these big expensive dealerships often don't take as much pride or care in their work. I'm not saying you don't take pride before you go off on one. Again the big dealerships have huge overheads compared to a local garage.

there is a HUGE profit made in building
Not on domestic extensions there isn't.

;) ;) ok

After reading your last two posts, you seem to be a reasonable fellow, little misguided perhaps, but hopefully prepared to learn, so lets try and pass some of our knowledge on to you.
Take labour content first. But bear in mind I have no idea where you live and do not know local labour rates, so everything is assumed.
You have a 2.9x8.5 external measure =24.65ms, take out external walls 14.3x.300= 4.29ms = 20.36ms footprint by 2 = say 41ms floor area over two floors.
I have not seen the site or drawings but lets say, allowing bit bad weather couple of delays, give it a 12 week programme start to finish. Lets say for the first 7 weeks to put the lid on, you have got three lads working 5 days a week, cos the neighbours will complain if you work the seven. Total wage bill £15750. That is based on £150.00 per shift, per lad, across the board. Now if you were to say that you have 1.5 weeks for your first fix and second fix plumber ditto for electrician, ditto for plasterer and chippy. Add it all together and lets say you have 5 weeks at £1000.00 a week. Might be a bit low there, but not by much. Now add that to your £15750.00 and you have £20750.00.
Now fink yer agree, made slight dent in your £25k ain’t we fellow?
As said all is assumed, as no hard information, how ever hope it has got you of your head and a**e and sat you down on your plates of meat.
With regard to your quotes, if he is any good, the £36k man looks your best bet, but then again the £41k man has got sufficient to do a good job, how ever it is important to check out previous work and knock on doors and speak to their previous clients. If people are happy with what has been done for them, then they will be only to pleased to tell you.
With the right attitude, many people will help you on here, but the builders won’t help you to take the bread out of another hard working builders mouth.
Must go now because my country that I am so proud of needs my help to cheer them on.
Hope we have been of some service to you. old un.

Helpful post thank you.

Up in south cumbria so the labour costs seem a bit high. Been told it would be 2 builders. Good friend is a sparky and wifes sisters partner is a plumber so cost saving there for me.

People thought to get the shell up and finished would be 12-15k in materails. Don't know how accurate that is??

where in South Cumbria? I can recommend a couple of decent builders from Dalton and Broughton

Thanks all, we are in barton Le clay, yes. does the figure of £44k and £52k take it to a plaster finish would you say?

Thanks

Sorry but afraid your post (extension cost and advice) got hijacked, partly due to our fault for which we apologise.
We are based 15 minutes away from Barton-le- Clay. and if you would like very detailed information with regard to costing, then please come back, and we will help you every way we can, as we know this area very well.
Regards, old un.

Hello all, it's been a while. didn't realise just how long it takes to get planning permission and now we are just waiting for building reg approval. hoping that will be back within 6-8 weeks. the latest quote we have had from a recommended builder is 51k for the waterproof shell. i'm trying to work out if will serve us better (ie be cheaper) to do it this way and then bring in the trades ourselves or get some quotes from a "fixed price to plaster finish builder" plastering cost has come back at £5838 just got to work out the sparky cost and replacement boiler/rads for new bit.

(perhaps we should have just bought a house that was suitable for us in the first place!!)

won't it be nice though ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back