1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Extension design - Can anyone offer advice?

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by SpecialK, 15 Sep 2019.

1. SpecialK

SpecialK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    Looking for design ideas for an extension.
    Attached are before and after.... Can anyone offer advice / other design ideas?

Attached Files:

2. roganty

roganty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Everyone will have their own preference to how they use their own house, so think carefully about whether a big kitchen/diner or a large lounge with a view over the garden is more important, and don't forget about other rooms that you might find useful, for example, a study, or utility room, or downstairs toilet/bathroom.

My view would be to separate the current kitchen into a study at the front and a utility room at the back (with access to the garage) and maybe a toilet as well (between the two new rooms)
    Then the extension I would keep as a single room and use as a large kitchen/diner with maybe a comfy seating area to one side.

Another thing to consider is opening the hallway into the new extension and position a door or window so that you can view the back garden from the front door. You might want to consider the same for the lounge.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With design, you define what you need or are trying to achieve, and then design something to achieve that.

4. jonbey

jonbey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd always put the lounge at the back of the house.