Extension estimate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate this is a very general question but wanted to get an idea of potential cost for a kitchen extension on my house.

I have a semi-detached 1930s property and and would like to extend the rear of the house, full width, and fit a new kitchen / sunroom in this area.

Nothing fancy, just bog standard brick/breeze block structure with large doors one window and 1/2 skylights.

I found an image on the web which looks pretty much spot on what I would like to do, minus the side gully extension. (see example pic in my album)

Any ball park figures before I start off some actual builder quotes?

//www.diynot.com/network/duchard/albums/

Sponsored Links
£20-25k.

And a local engineer (me!) to do the steels to open up the back wall.

Thanks for the reply Shytalkz.

Is that your estimate for the whole build with all fittings, planning etc?

How long would it take in your experience?

Need some work? :)

Sponsored Links
I know of a v good plan drawer in the locale who will knock out the drawings for planning and BRegs for under a grand, no VAT. If you email me, I'll send you his contact details.

Plan fees under £200 (might be permitted development though), BRegs about £300 plus VAT, SE fees £150 plus VAT for beams/bearings, no site visit, working off plans.

The £25k figure should suffice to include for the kitchen and gubbins, unless you were going for some bespoke affair, as well as decorations.

Reckon on 10 weeks.

One can never have enough work :).

Difficult to gain perspective from the image but i would say that is at least a 6m x 4m rear elev' extension. 25k may cover the build but forget including the kitchen, electrics and plumbing unless things are desperate down in tractor land.

As shy has said, the kitchen can cost almost as much as a watertight shell.

This is carrot land. Tractor land is where the scum are. And FNT :)

Get away with yer pricing Nose: three walls and bog-standard footings, oversite slab and a simple lean-to roof, with a bit of knocking about to the ex rear wall....?

This is carrot land. Tractor land is where the scum are. And FNT :)

Get away with yer pricing Nose: three walls and bog-standard footings, oversite slab and a simple lean-to roof, with a bit of knocking about to the ex rear wall....?
:LOL:

well im afraid I'll have to sit on the fence on that one. I'm from the Northwest originally so no comment. :LOL:

I helped my brother in law with his footings and foundation to his three storey extension a few years back so I would be pretty confident doing the same here, with him. That would surely help reduce the build by preparing site for brick work.

I'm not going to go for any crazy bespoke kitchen. Probably a mid range IKEA kit which I would put in myself. £2-3K tops.

TBH I'm not even sure if the current exterior wall would need opening as theres already french doors installed opening to the garden which could be either kept or moved to the new exterior wall.

does it help if I've lived here for six years and my wife is born and bred here. :LOL:

How could you marry someone with that accent????! :LOL:
Nevermind the accent Shy. I'm more concerned he could marry someone with webbed feet. :eek:

Back on topic I always use £1200 /m2 as an approximate guide in the absence of a detailed spec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back