extension lead - under floor ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have the need to run an extension cable (doorway in the way), obviously would not put it under carpet, but is it ok to route under the floor boards?

Sponsored Links
Would it not be a logical solution, if you are lifting floorboard and routing cable/flex to actual extend the circuit rather than bodge it up?

You are right, and I have been toying with the idea and just cant decide. its going to take longer chasing walls and filling etc.

but I think is likely that is what I will end up doing.....I am curious though as to the safe nature of putting the extension flex under the floor.

There are regulations concerning the flex type, and what you intend to do has got some grey areas concerning my interpenetration of the regulations.
As I would no longer consider it to be an extension lead and more like fixed wiring, therefore should be the heavy duty type flex.
Others may have opposing opinions!

Sponsored Links
Meaning one that will not damage easy whilst being routed, run and fixed within floor voids and can handle the required current for the purpose it is to be used for and the environment conditions that will be associated with the location where it will be installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back