Extension of out side light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys thanks in advance for any help. Im wanting to extend the outside light I have (240v) to take a few bulk head lights and run them along my home extension. Any advice is appreciated. The security light is currently a bog standard motion detector, was wanting to take power from there then run cable and slot lights in where needed. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Run hi-tuff cable along the wall, and have a weatherproof JB above wherever you want a light. You dont want 2 cables in one fitting.

Run hi-tuff cable along the wall, and have a weatherproof JB above wherever you want a light. You dont want 2 cables in one fitting.

Since this is DIY site I would suggest the JB is indoors or it will require Part P registration around here £115 also of course under 150W per lamp as again Part L will again cost you money.

What Steve says does make sense of course the government rules do not make sense so stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks guys for your replies.....Whats the limit on how many lights I can have and what wattage? ......The current outside light is basically just the cable coming through the wall......I was going to change this to a JB and take feed from there.....How much would I be looking to pay for high tough cable per metre?....Thanks again guys.

Sponsored Links
Any black sheaf cable will do black as not degraded by sun light and round seals better. As far as I am aware no limit on how many only should not be over 150W each and if you see the amount of light off a 70W nickel metal halide lamp can't see why anyone other than foot ball grounds would need more.
A 1.5mm sq cable is good for 16A so that is ample normally one tries to run lamps on 5A circuit as some lighting fitting are only ratted 5 amp but with 150W limit on each lamp that still will allow 7 lamps.
As to price screwfix only charge £26.22 for 25M of steel wire armoured cable so not too expensive but cable is cheaper by the role and likely you will get more but still pay around the £25 as cheaper stuff comes on bigger roles.
Most electrical whole sale outlets are helpful and cheaper than B&Q or Screwfix but screwfix has a nice web site so easy to direct.
Part P also has links to Part L it is in layman's terms. The problem arises if a neighbour complains so one has to use a little common sense.

Gotta say ericmark your advice is greatly appreciated.....thanks for the time and effort mate. Very useful information. Top bloke...thanks :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back