Extension on a terraced house has nowhere for rainwater to go

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I need help with a rainwater drainage problem. Not sure what to do in this situation: the terraced house has a rear extension that is the width of the back garden (about 5 m). The length of the back garden is 9m. Currently the rainwater is siphoned into a raised bed. I wanted to put a soakaway in, but it's clay soil. Also supposed to be 2.5 m from boundary - the garden width is 5m. Where else can the water go? There's no other pipework it can attach to, no drain. All I can guess is that the extension covers the original surface water drain. Thanks

Attachments

• 20240419_175207.jpg
    20240419_175207.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240419_175221.jpg
    20240419_175221.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240419_175216.jpg
    20240419_175216.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Hello! I need help with a rainwater drainage problem. Not sure what to do in this situation: the terraced house has a rear extension that is the width of the back garden (about 5 m). The length of the back garden is 9m. Currently the rainwater is siphoned into a raised bed. I wanted to put a soakaway in, but it's clay soil. Also supposed to be 2.5 m from boundary - the garden width is 5m. Where else can the water go? There's no other pipework it can attach to, no drain. All I can guess is that the extension covers the original surface water drain. Thanks
Soakaways don't work in clay substrate.

I have a similar setup on my extension completed in nov 2019. The BCO told me to take pipe into thameswater river waste discharge pipe., told him i dont have one as house is 1930's, he said lay pipe to discharge out side, i said i live in a terrace, he said into soakway i said, nope cant be done i i live in flood plain, in the end we agreed discharge into water butts and then overflow into main sewer pipe as last resort.

However i layed pipe in back garden patio and made sure water discharged into back garden, wrong thing to do but only choice.

Still got comlpletion cert.

My last property was on clay subsoil ( as was the entire estate ) put extra large soak away in back garden , worked fine as did existing .

Sponsored Links
Thanks both of you, I think a soakaway is best answer. It's clay soil but not really bad clay, so seems best option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back