Extension options - help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a 2 bed Victorian end terrace and are looking for some ideas of how we might extend. Bedrooms are the main priority but I don't think loft conversion is an option due to roof structure and low clear height. Lowering the ceilings might be an option but probably extremely expensive and would take away from the character somewhat I think.

I have attached some photos - ideally we would like to add a bedroom by either possibly extending over back section of house and also extending into side return and out a bit like next door have done for some extra living space.

Does anyone know what type of roof structure we have? As you will see from the photos the ceilings in the bedrooms are slanted as if the rooms are already part way into loft - what is this called?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8031.JPG
    IMG_8031.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8045.JPG
    IMG_8045.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8046.JPG
    IMG_8046.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_8264.JPG
    IMG_8264.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8268.JPG
    IMG_8268.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8272.JPG
    IMG_8272.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8283.JPG
    IMG_8283.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
I don't think there's a lot you can do unfortunately. To add a bedroom over the existing extension, you need to narrow the existing rear bedroom, and create a corridor to be able to get to it. Unless you could rearrange the upstairs layout, so that the bathroom was in the rear bedroom, then you'd get the corridor you need.

What is in the downstairs extension, and could you add a bedroom to the end of it.

Pointless without seeing an existing plan. Everything can be extended but as to whether it's practical/worth it is another matter. Is it the bit on the back existing or an extension?

Pointless without seeing an existing plan. Everything can be extended but as to whether it's practical/worth it is another matter. Is it the bit on the back existing or an extension?

Thanks for reply. I have attached an existing indicative floor plan which might help.

Attachments

• IMG_8292.PNG
    IMG_8292.PNG
    879.3 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
Now I assumed that the rear room was a bedroom, but as it's a bathroom, as long as you can narow it to give you a corridor, then you can do it. It would be best to take down the rear GF toilet, and bring the extension out to the original width in order to get a good size room, so is it worth it. But I'd say it was do-able

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back