Extension party wall drainage - leave a gap or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm going to do a rear extension, and as from the attached photo, my neighbour has already extended a bit, and we have signed the party wall agreement with them.

My builder suggested to not build a wall alongside my neighbour's, instead, they'll build a new wall and leave about 15cm from my neighbour's wall for hanging the gutter pipe.

I have huge concern about leaving that narrow gap because of various reasons - damp, trapped animals, unable to maintain. I have expressed my concerns to my builders, but they said no need to worry and it's all standard. so I really need your help advice me what to do.

Thanks a lot!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 11.09.03.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 11.09.03.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
No need to worry and it's all standard.
I saw some other people do their extension is to build the wall alongside the neighbour's so there's no gap in between. My builder said it's better to leave a gap, but I'm really not sure.

Not sure I follow, you want to build 'alongside' - so you don't want a gap or you do if so what gap do you want? In anycase you cannot overhang the boundary, wherever that may be. 150mm is fine , an animal won't get trapped, you can get a broom head or whatever down there to rake out any leaves etc should that happen, more than adequate for ventilation, the finish on the wall should be one that requires no further maintenance, it lets the builder enough gap to work, depending on the fascia detail etc.

Sponsored Links
I need to check my gaps for dead animals that were previously trapped :cautious:

potentially, the walls
Not sure I follow, you want to build 'alongside' - so you don't want a gap or you do if so what gap do you want? In anycase you cannot overhang the boundary, wherever that may be. 150mm is fine , an animal won't get trapped, you can get a broom head or whatever down there to rake out any leaves etc should that happen, more than adequate for ventilation, the finish on the wall should be one that requires no further maintenance, it lets the builder enough gap to work, depending on the fascia detail etc.

can end up like this

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 12.23.42.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 12.23.42.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,060
Build it as close as you like, there are zero issues with any gap that may be formed.

Build it as close as you like, there are zero issues with any gap that may be formed.
The builder said if leave very minimum gap, the air brick won't work so might have damp issue in the future?

Tell the builder that if he leaves a gap smaller than the width of his head, his head wont then get shoved into it while you kick his arrse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back