Extension permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will I need to involve BCOs and Planning if I wish to build a single storey extension at the rear of my bungalow?
Thanks for any replies :D

Sponsored Links
Depends what area you are in and normally you can go up to 70 cubic metre or no more than 15% volume of the property whichever is the greater without planning premission but need to follow building regs. This is just a example, pop down to your BCO with a rough drawing including the boundary line and they will tell what you need to do & it's free of charge !

Thanks Masona.
I'll go and see them this week.
Let you know how I get on :D

Spot on with your advice Masona .Thanks :D
I have already extended with a dormer but providing both extensions do not exceed 70m cubed I will be okay.
Shall be digging footings soon for walls. Will 12 inches wide by 18 be sufficient for approx 9 ft wall?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
When I did a kitchen extension, I ended up with a metre depth being taken out. The building inspector kept coming back always wanting more. When I protested that it was only a single storey, their reply was that someone in the future may want to build a second floor. Twenty years later, I wanted to do just that. BC's first requirement was to see the depth of foundations. I gave up the idea.

BAHCO said:
Will 12 inches wide by 18 be sufficient for approx 9 ft wall?
Normally 450mm wide and 1.000 metre deep depending on the clay condition, best to check with BCO for your area. The reason is daft as it sound incase you need to build on top of your extension :rolleyes: In my area 5 miles away have to have 2 metres footing !

Johndug said:
When I did a kitchen extension, I ended up with a metre depth being taken out. The building inspector kept coming back always wanting more. When I protested that it was only a single storey, their reply was that someone in the future may want to build a second floor. Twenty years later, I wanted to do just that. BC's first requirement was to see the depth of foundations. I gave up the idea.
Same thing just happened to me. I built my current house in 1981 to 1983 and recently got planning permission to raise part of the roof and add another floor to part of the rear (over existing single storey). Got planning and regs ok but regs asked to "see the foundations".

I phoned them up and said "you've seen the foundations, back in 1981"

They said "we need to see them again"

I said "No way am I digging up round finished paved areas just to show you what you saw in 1981. Get the file out and check your notes. I repeat - no way am I digging a test hole for you to inspect footings you have already inspected" (I was a bit angry)

He said "I'll just have a word with my boss"

20 seconds later he returned "OK, we'll use the information in the original housebuilding notes, no need for a test hole"

If you argue your case (assuming your foundations are ok) they can't argue, those records are in their office somewhere, they just can't be bothered to hunt them out.

I had the same issue not but 6 months ago but HAD to dig the damm hole ! :cry: The BCO said that although they had pulled the plans from my existing single storey extension (6 years ago), they did not note if the footings were deep enough for my 2nd storey :rolleyes:

Anyway, did it, and got passed. Oh and they also wanted to check that my lintel above the ground floor window was ok, so i had to break away the damm plaster around the lintel on the inside of the already (lovely) plastered wall :evil:

I thought they wanted to check the load bearing of the lintel.... nope.... he wanted to see if there was one there !!!! He said that he has seen extensions where ''bits of wood'' were put in to save money.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back