Extension planning

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was previously thinking about a rear infill extension but have discovered an issue with our roof that has made me reconsider what we do next.

We have a lot of cracked tiles in the lower portion of our roof and the felt underneath has completely rotted away so we get leaks when it rains. We'd always been planning to extend in to this space eventually so it feels a bit wasteful to spend several thousand getting it all replaced then rip it all out in a few years to get an extension built.

I've hopefully attached a Pic of the front elevation and the plan is just to fill this area in to make the house a box. The floor space in the area would be 18 square meters which we would split into 2 rooms, a bathroom and a bedroom. We'd take a bit out of one of the existing rooms to make the extra bedroom a bit larger.

I've seen quite a few of these built over the years since we've moved in. They seem to be simple wooden boxes that go up in 3-4 weeks and involve no changes to foundations.

People talk about £2k per square metre which results in a cost of £36k for the build. Is that realistic? How much would I save if I just went for a watertight shell with electrics and finished myself later?

I think my next step is to consult an architect, is that right?
677A5966-D2EF-4A79-8703-626265552EB8.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back