Extension Price!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My partner and I are talking about having a rear two storey extension on our 1930's Semi detached house.

External dimensions would be 3.5mx5m, Is anybody able to give me a ball park figure for the work required for the shell of this extension (groundwork’s, foundations, brick/block, pebble dash finish, no internal walls or finishing require). I know costs obviously vary and dependant on other factors, but as a stab in the dark could anyone give me an idea.

Also, am I able to approach a builder to quote this type of job without any architectural drawings?

Many thanks,
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddy,

The reason I ask is because we don’t want to go to the expensive of an architect to then find out it is out of our budget. I have a couple of friends who's parents own a building company. I guess it would be ideal to get them in to give a figure without drawings.

I have been told that a general rule of thumb is £1000-1200 per square meter finished. Does this sound reasonable? and could anyone suggest an adjusted 'unfinished' price. Is this just going to be how a builder would quote initially.

Thanks for your replies.

I have been told that a general rule of thumb is £1000-1200 per square meter finished. Does this sound reasonable? and could anyone suggest an adjusted 'unfinished' price. Is this just going to be how a builder would quote initially.
Yes this figure is about right for finished but I too am unsure of an unfinished price which is why I did not post a figure myself. In the absence of anyone else bothering to reply I would guess you'd be looking at around £700-800 per m2.

Sponsored Links
i work on £750.00/m but it all depends on the quality of finishers etc but a good ball park figure

Its per m2 per floor, BTW your calcs are off, its

Floor Area = 3.5m X 5m = 17.5m2 x 2 = 35m2

35m2 @ £750/m2 = £26,250

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back