Extension wider at one end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
We are having an extension built which is 2.4m wide x 9m long. A friend of a friend is doing the brickwork and it's now up to dpc. I've been looking at it and have measured it and it's 40mm wider at one end. Is this a problem. I've measured it from the existing brickwork

Sponsored Links
He may have made the new corners square and the existing brickwork is out of square or he may just have cocked it up a bit. Its not that big a deal as you could lose 15mm each end with the wall plate. If your having a cut roof it'll be no problem. Premade trusses etc may be a bit more fiddly.

It will make a difference if it's a kitchen if the walls aren't square. It will still make a difference if not, but it can be easier to bodge. It might make a difference to the line of the eaves (out of level) and width of the any soffit (not parallel)

I'd ask the simple question "Why aren't my walls square and parallel off my house?". And even "Are you a real bricklayer?"

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys. It's a garage with a bedroom above. I just don't want it to look daft when it's finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back