Extension woes!

Thanks Jeds

Our neighbours are seriously thinking of extending at the moment, it's been useful chatting with them even though our plans are quite different. Our revised plans are for a roughly 4.5 x 4.5m side extension slightly set back. Previously we had been looking at a larger floor area as it meant remodelling the stairs, and they ate into the new build. But it also meant we would have to bring the extension right to the front of the porch space to get a decent floor area for the new lounge. I must admit it looked a little imposing on our modest corner plot house, but I have seen far worse monstrosities, at least we were matching what we have! There was one similar extension round the corner recently done with a timber frame, but I don't know much about them?

I won't be at the pc for the rest of the week as we are away, so if anyone else does reply, please excuse my serious lack of input!

Kind regards.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm.

Architects. Designers. Techys. Surveyors.

Great titles.

Firstly you need any one of the above to design you a building that is build-able. By that i mean the designer needs to understand a little about how it is actually assembled and how the (available) materials interact.

Secondly, he needs to list materials that are available from local builders merchants. By this he needs to swat up on which particular manufacturer and their codes are available locally, i.e. lintels, insulation, timber products, even concrete suppliers.

Thirdly, when the builder asks for advice that he is ready to give it rather than say "oh, just run it past the bco and see what he says". This may be particularly relevant if it happens to be -5 deg c outside as opposed to lovely and warm in his office.

Finally, he needs to understand that when a competent builder is on board that he only need be there to receive the odd phone call if the drawing is showing something that isn't quite working out.

Some jobs require a couple of site visits at most, others require none at all.

Thank you too Noseall for your suggestions. As suggested, it might be wise of me to get outside input from someone who knows what they are doing before we go any further. I've been looking into so much I think my eyes will start bleeding! Maybe it is time to consult a professional who knows what will and will not work. I do have a few issues with regard to the basic design, but I am a little concerned about spending too much money before we know what we want. Unfortunately we don't have a bottomless pit, but who has! :LOL: I did search for local architectural technicians in the locality, so it might be time to contact one. My OH is keen to get a couple of very rough guesstimates from builders, might be a bit of a debate brewing here lol!
Our house is a typical late 60's early 70's box, with the top half clad [we replaced the wood with pvc when we moved in]. Our plans are to add another 'box' on the side. ;) I'm interested in finding out more about keeping the roof 'ceilingless' in the bedroom, so I guess speaking to a professional will tell me whether this is a feasible idea.
I actually ended up searching for bricks online tonight, found we have London Rustic. Why did I agree to the OH going to the pub while I babysat? I should get a life! ;)
I'm so sorry if I come across as a complete dimwit, you have all been very gentle on me, it's much appreciated!

Mrs 177, Don’t know the exact rates in Kent, but will give you guideline.
4.5x4.5m external measure foot print, three sided two storey box.
Budget for £34k to £40k
Deduct for approx 27ms for fourth wall and foundation already built, say £2800.00.
No reason why you cannot have vaulted ceiling to bedroom, depends how it is designed, but allow to add back on say possibly £800 to £1000.00 pounds. But once again how it is designed Could also put couple of velux over bed if yer into bird watching or aircraft spotting.
Bear in mind you are putting another 80 odd cube metres on to boiler and may not cope. May need new boiler.
London Brick is the old London Brick Company and the Rustic used to be made and fired at Kempston in Bedford. Rustic were bottom of the range, but good hard brick. Only problem with them, new ones stand out like sore thumb to existing.
By the way your other half is a sensible chap. Up the pub is the correct place to be.
Hope helps. Guidance only.
old un

Sponsored Links
Hi just a few notes on the benefits of using a qualified architect.

All chartered architects carry indemnity insurance to cover their work should anything go wrong, they also have years of design training which helps them to provide a project that is not only physically sound but also one that provides the best solution to fit the clients needs and to enhance the site or property. It is a bit like the difference between a badly fitting off the peg made in China suit and a bespoke tailored one, they both do the same job but one will be uncomfortable and wear out quickly whilst the other will give you many years of service and fit better.

Many technicians are able to provide a low cost service by farming out regurgitated old drawings and details with little regard to the impact of the project on the existing building or site or even with regard to the clients needs. They happily submit scantily informed drawings to the local authorities and then flap around with a hatchet and a blunt pencil to get them passed, leaving the poor builder to try and achieve the impossible and costing the client a fortune in last minute changes and unexpected additional costs. Remember a car that passes an MOT is not necessarily a good car.

Many technicians submit the minimum amount of information that they can get away with and then rely on the local authorities to check that what they have proposed is safe and reasonably robust. The local authorities can only check the basics and so it falls on the builder to make sure the work is acceptable - and from his perspective done as cheaply as possible. So yes an architect might produce 42 drawings (to a technicians 2) but the work will be more accurately priced, the project will be better built and the builder will have less opportunity to cut corners, produce shoddy work and charge extra for unforseen changes and problems.

I believe that a good architect can not only achieve a superior building but can actually save you money on the overall project costs.

All that said this is not an attempt to undermine technicians as I know how many of them are excellent designers. I merely wish to point out that you get what you pay for - so if you are happy with a basic brick box strapped to the side of your house and can put up with the arguments with your builder go for the up front cheap offers.

And yes I am an architect.

Thank you all, we've had a loss in the family, so I'm sorry not to have been back, but I will read the latest comments as soon as I can. Everyone has been really helpful. Take care all for now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back