Kitchen / Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. This is my first post, and I'm hoping for some general advice. We are looking to have a new kitchen but also extend out, to make space bigger and also combine space with current utility room to create bigger space. My question is, do I need an architect or 'just' (?) a planner to do the drawings. I don't really know whether the job warrants an architect or whether if I got a good planner, that would do?

I am in Surrey, if anyone knows of good architects / planners, also.

The other question is, as we are novices at this, never having done anything on this scale before, does anyone have a good checklist on how to approach the whole task?

Any help or ideas are gratefully received. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
An architectural technician should be upto the job, to get planning permission and building regs done. Should work out cheaper, but get a few peeps in to give quotes on doing the work.

You need a 'Designer' to do the drawings. This can be any professional or competant person. An architectural technician, building surveyor, engineer etc. I always say that an Architect is overkill for a basic extension.

The desinger should listen to what you want, and tell you what can be done and at what cost - considering local planning policy and your budget. He should not do what is easiest for him, but design for your needs.

Generally there are two statutory approvals needed - planning (what it looks like) and building regulations (how it will be built)

Lots of ground floor extensions can be done under 'permitted development' which means that no formal planning application is needed. Make ure that your designer does not charge you for a planning application if it is not required.

Building regulations is required for this work.

The designer can be retained to project manage the builders, or to just check quality as work proceeds if you are not too sure about dealing with builders. A separate fee will be charged for this service.

Get some designers to come around and see how they listen to your proposals, and what ideas they come up with. Some may charge for an initial visit.

Hi rbders

I work as an Architect, for this type of thing (although it depends upon more detailed info) i'd charge approx £750 (with all application + structural engineers fees additional to this). You'll be able to find someone from anywhere beween £200 upto £2000.........it's upto you in terms of how much knowledge you have of the process + consequently how much advice/guidance your gonna need.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
depending on the size of the extension you may be able to do it under your personal development rights (PDR), in which case you will not need any drawings. you can do some yourself if you like, i used excel of all things.
you will however need a structual/architect to work out the loadings as a minimum and apply to your council for a building notice.
if you are building next to your neighbours you may have to consider the party wall act or you may have many problems.
have a look at www.planningportal.gov.uk and your local councils website

hth

matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back