Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting to think about an extension across the back of my bungalow. Think it would fall under Permitted Development. I would like to get some idea of costing in the first instance to see if it will come within my budget :( What is the best way of going about this as I would hate to waste anyone's time if I can't afford it.

Sponsored Links
Depends lots on where you live, what you want and if it’s simple or issues to deal with. A rough guide touted around is £1k-£1.5k per Sqm.

Sponsored Links
Say £1.2k per m2 if the land is sound, nothing really fancy, access is OK and not including a kitchen or bathroom fit or internal decs.

That's fine then. Just the awful job of trying to find a decent builder... :(

There's a guy locally who has been used by people round here (I looked on planning applications on council site) :)

There's a guy locally who has been used by people round here (I looked on planning applications on council site) :)

I got a guy listed on my Councils website as a ‘partner’. Turned out he was clueless, even with very basic rules and regulations.

Try and get a word of mouth recommendation if you can.

As Ian H said above just because they submit a few planning applications does not necessarily mean they are any good (unless you stumbled across my details). If you really cannot get friends/family/work colleagues to recommend someone then at least try to speak to 1 or 2 of this firm's previous clients and get a fixed fee quote for the design work before you engage them.

Avoid any that advise you to apply for an LDC, is the best advice you will get from this thread. :cautious:

I'm currently offering a free signed photo with every LDC application.
movies.nacho.jpg

I'm just winding up Woody, I know the photo is tempting but taking on random loonies from the internet is not a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back