Extension

Check at the local planning office to see if there is a disproportionate number of LDC applications in the locality. Then get your free signed photo of wessexonesie. (y)

Sponsored Links
I read on the Planning Portal that it is good to have an LDC if you intend to sell in the future. Why do you feel that is not a good way forward?

If you are planning on selling within the next 4 years then an LDC will save you the hassle of explaining to a box-ticking conveyancer (who should know better but rarely does) that the works were permitted development AT THE TIME and required no planning permission (this will cause fun in the near future when the 6m neighbour consultation extensions start appearing on the market).
If you're not planning on selling within that timeframe then take some pics before and after (dated- the old-school method was to print the pics, send then to yourself vie recorded delivery, keep the proof of posting and receipt and don't open the envelope, nowadays you could use a polythene envelope of course. Modern method- posting pics to Instagram or Facebook might be accepted but don't know) as evidence that the work was completed on whatever date and thus 4 years down the line (unless you've hidden it in a haystack) is immune from any enforcement action and thus no risk to the purchaser
If whatever you're doing requires building control oversight then a completion certificate from the BCO should serve the same purpose.
Another downside with LDCs- many planners have little pet peeves that they don't like people doing. There is a risk when starting a dialogue with these people that they'll start burying you with detailed reasons why your scheme MIGHT not be PD (it is but they don't like it so they'll scare you with all sorts of legal references)

So, is it better to apply for full panning permission rather than just go for PD ?

Sponsored Links
'better' depends on your circumstances:

- For some with experience and confidence, using PD rights without informing the local authority, and taking an approach to building regs 'on notice' with no plans will be the most sensible approach (bureaucracy light, high risk).
- For others, a PD approach with an LDC to confirm that the works are PD to oil the eventual conveyancing wheels will be best.
- For a few, a combination of full planning permission and PD will allow them to max-out the development opportunity of a house in way that wouldn't be achievable through any one route alone, but as separate pieces of law that were never really designed to work together you can play the system. There are many other threads about people navigating this approach.

'better' depends on your circumstances:

- For some with experience and confidence, using PD rights without informing the local authority, and taking an approach to building regs 'on notice' with no plans will be the most sensible approach (bureaucracy light, high risk).
- For others, a PD approach with an LDC to confirm that the works are PD to oil the eventual conveyancing wheels will be best.
- For a few, a combination of full planning permission and PD will allow them to max-out the development opportunity of a house in way that wouldn't be achievable through any one route alone, but as separate pieces of law that were never really designed to work together you can play the system. There are many other threads about people navigating this approach.

Many of the hybrid approaches don't legally work when building in one operation, they are stories based on what blokes in pubs say.

I thought PD still had to go through the council as I've seen them on planning applications. I wouldn't be happy doing it otherwise.

I presume so the council know what you are doing is ok.
If your scheme is Permitted Development then the council have no influence over its design. Anything reasonably sized will require building control inspection but there are private inspectors these days.
The only way the council will get involved is if someone complains to them that you're building something that someone doesn't like - they might then come and have a look, if it is PD then that's about all they can do.

I presume so the council know what you are doing is ok.
The point of the legislation is so that you don't need to inform them, to reduce council beauracracy for trivial works. It's already permitted. No need to tell it ask. For some, particularly on the borderline of what's allowed, asking is a comforting process and results in an Ldc that confirms that you didn't need to ask in the first place.

Many people use LDCs for reassurance as they aren't experts in interpreting PD rules. Of course something like a roof light it pretty basic. But when people start adding side, rear, roof, dormer, rooflights, porches, etc. In one go it can get a bit more technical.

Thanks guys I understand how it all works now. I'll do a scale drawing of exactly what I want and send it to architectural guy to do it properly and hopefully he can point me in the right direction re costs. Finding a decent builder will be the next nightmare. A lot of cowboys down here and the good ones are mega expensive so it'll be fun trying to balance the balls......

There are a lot of good ones too though. If you want to find a good one go round and look at them in situ. If the site is clean and tidy and safe looking that is a really good sign. If you say see guys standing on exposed rafters using angle grinders at height without scaffolding that is not a good sign.

The good ones will be booked up for months so you are talking next spring at the earliest most likely. You are much better off booking a good one for next April say than having guys work through all the bad winter weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back