Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning helpers,
I am trying (IN VAIN) to wire an outside
waterproof light switch. On the back at the top
are conections 1 & L at the bottom is 2 can someone please help. I have 1.5 t&e cable.
tks Mike :oops:

Sponsored Links
My guess would be that it's a 2-way switch, terminals for which are usually labelled COM or C, L1 and L2, or sometimes L1, L2 & L3.

Which combinations have you tried? L and 1 would be my first attempt (actually, my first action would be to identify which was which with a multimeter, but I've learned that lots of people don't think they need one of those in their toolbox)

Is your problem just that you don't know which terminal is which, or that you don't understand at a more basic level how lighting circuits are wired? Have you looked at the diagrams in the For Reference topic, or invested in a copy of the Which? Book of Wiring and Lighting?

As an aside - how are you getting the T/E cable into the switch and retaining its IP rating?

Hi,it feels ive tried most combinations so far.

It is a IP55 push on/off switch (grey plastic box rubber gland)
with 1 & L on top with 2 at bottom. Seperate earth in box.

In & out T&E into box using correct T&E cable gland connector

I have tried both reds, both blacks in various connections but keeps tripping
my house rcd.

Aha - sounds like you are trying to wire a single pole changeover switch as if it were double pole. The neutral and earth wires should not go through the switch, but straight through from supply to load - as you have already cut into them however, I suggest joining black to black with a piece of choc-bloc, tied back with a cable tie if there is risk of it flapping about and fouling anything else.
Earths can be joined at the terminal already in the box.
Only the red (live) should pass through the switch, and as the other posters have said, use L as input and 1 as output, at least as a first go. If the switch operates 'upside-down' swap 1 with 2. If nothing happens at all, swap L and 2.
Let us know how that goes
regards.
M.

Sponsored Links
RCD or MCB?

You say "both reds, both blacks", which means 2 cables, not one. Where do they come from/go to?

If you aren't trying to use this switch in the usual way (i.e. with a single switch cable), have you got an incoming cable with L&N, and you want an outgoing with switched live & neutral?

If so you need to join the neutrals with a bit of choc-block and just put the lives into the switch.

:D Thanks to both of you guys mapj1 & ban-all-sheds

You are both life savers all working fine and the missus is happy and good chance of now being able to watch tonights footie.
Thanks again Mike.

Mike -

Can I ask where you got your switch? I'm struggling to find one for external mounting.

please note 17

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back