External (Acrylic) Render, or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are finalising plans for our extension and wondering about whether to render or not.

The house is brick semi-detached circa 1960 with white uPVC windows. We will be extending out downstairs for the kitchen and dining room, including grey kitchen windows and bifold doors on the extension only, and are wondering about whether to render.

It looks nice rendered in drawings, but I am concerned about longer term maintenance. Our architect has advised it is not really an issue any more, the modern (I think he said acrylic?) render does not need painting and can be hosed down, and should not crack etc, hence it is really down to our own preference and some additional cost for render (£1500?)

I'm looking for second opinions please, especially from those who have had it done - is it true to say that modern render is maintenance free, or will it still require some maintenance longer term? Are there likely to be any issues with moisture? What would you recommend please?

NB the existing walls including upstairs will remain un-rendered to match the neighbours, and we plan to leave these as white uPVC for the same reason, just grey on the extension.

Thanks,
Pete

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back