Render Mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an ex local authority 1920s semi. House rendered, no cavity wall & single glazed windows.

Much of the render has blown & we have penetrating damp generated from water getting behind render & seeping around the various areas of dry lining. Water also penetrating around the windows that were never fitted correctly.

My husband (ex painter & dec. by trade) is in process of removing all render to front of house which is the most damaged & most exposed to weather. (rural norfolk!)

He intends to fix batons on naff windows in order to render up to them prior to them being removed & new upvc double glazed windows being fitted (he does not want to have all rendering to do after inst. of new windows in fear of damage).

Rendering mixes & depth of coats have changed since he was at college (both in our 40s) & we would like some details as to ratio & mix of materials best for us to use taking into account our exposed position. I.E. sharp or soft sand, cement & lime etc. Additionally he is not sure whether to put sealer or waterproofer on the bricks after he has made them good & prior to rendering.

We have our own aluminium scaffold tower & mixer, tools & safety gear etc., but he intends to do the whole lot single handedly with me just clearing the fallen render & fulfilling the important job of making numerous cups of tea - so any tips would be much appreciated!

Hubby has not checked this message so apologies if I have used incorrect terms etc!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back