External bifold doors, and making and opening smaller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks,

I am looking at adding bifolds across the back of our lean to single storey extension.
The opening I will have after removing the current French door and window will be 4150mm
The bifolds I intend to purchase come in standard sizes upto 4000mm and then jump in price for bespoke sizes.
My question is for the sake of 150mm and to keep to the cheaper 4000mm doors could I attach timbers either side of the brickwork 75mm each side and fix the doors through the timbers and into the brickwork. This would save on the large extra cost of slightly larger doors and also save me toothing out the brickwork to alter the opening to fit the 4000mm doors?
I was thinking I could just use a bit of upvc fascia either side to cover the timbers? ... is this crazy or OK to do?
I hope this makes sense and appreciate any feedback on this.

Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
Why don't you do a window each side and a smaller bifold in middle?

Why don't you do a window each side and a smaller bifold in middle?

Thanks for the suggestion
I had looked at this option, but again costs even more than the bifolds at 4150 to do it with two windows and a smaller bifold, and don't really want to go down the route of altering the brickwork to much to accommodate this set up and being left with the mortar mismatches externally.

Sponsored Links
Why can't you match the mortar?

Is it simple to match? Just I have always been led to believe it is difficult to match aged mortar to new with your average brick layer?

It's not super difficult if you are know what you are doing, it can be blended over a wide area too.

It helps if you know the local sand that made the original etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back