External crack in house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could advise on a crack in the external wall of a house we're purchasing.

The survey hasn't been done yet but have noticed this on the second viewing. The house is 88 years old and it's up near the roof in the plaster work. What concerns me about it is it looks like it might continue into the cement on the edge of the roof tiles.

Has anyone got an opinion on whether this is likely to be a problem crack or not?

Attachments

• 20180624_102035.jpg
    20180624_102035.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 20180624_111746.jpg
    20180624_111746.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 230
Sponsored Links
It could be one of several causes and be old or new. It does not have the appearance of being a major issue, but what's to be done would need proper inspection on site. Wait for the survey.

If you have a numpty surveyor or a home buyer survey prepare for alarmist wording and recommendation for a structural survey.

The good thing is that it becomes a bargaining point for a price reduction.

I believe you have what might be "Stucco" exterior wall finish, does tend to crack after time and possibly pieces drop off after rain water freezes in wintertime, do not be an alarmist, as woody says wait for the survey, and as he says you could use it to your advantage in a price reduction on the property

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back