External drains found internally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of stripping out our basement level rooms (games room, toilet, 'spare' kitchen and sunroom) for Rentokil to come and fit tanking and new damp course.

I have discovered that the kitchen and toilet (which have been added onto the house as part of an L-shaped extension) had external drains boxed in. The toilet has a swirl drain which had the toilet overflow and the basin waste going into it. The kitchen has a hopper and downpipe into another drain which the waste from the washing machine upstairs going into into it.

Obviously this a bodge job. The question is - how should it have been done?

Cheers

Sponsored Links

The first pic (sorry, couldn't work out how to rotate it) is in the kitchen and the bottom pic is in the toilet. There's nothing going into toilet drain at the moment as I stripped out the suite except the pan.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The house is built on a slope: 2 floors at the front and 3 floors at the back with the basement level leading out to the rear garden.

Ah - OK.

Let's hope that you don't find that the bodgers did structural bodges as well.

Did they have planning consent and Building Regulations approval?

I presume so - the extension's ancient so the council would look a bit daft trying to take any action. The survey didn't come back with any structural issues, the basement just needs some tlc.

And the wet rot sorted.

And the dry rot sorted.

And some tanking installed. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back