External expansion vessel to vaillant ecotec boiler

I doubt very much if you need a replacement EV either internal or external, you need someone to service your boiler properly that knows how to recharge an expansion vessel properly, water from the shraeder valve means nothing, the only way you know how an EV is shot is to properly recharge it and see if it will hold a charge

Did not know that, I thought (reading from a fault finding book) that water from the valve means it’s a perished/permeated membrane and needs replacing. I’ll bear that in mind.

Sponsored Links
Did not know that, I thought (reading from a fault finding book) that water from the valve means it’s a perished/permeated membrane and needs replacing. I’ll bear that in mind.
No, I have seen water pouring out of the shraeder valve and still managed to re charge it, the absolute must though is to leave a drain point open throughout the whole process, as you start pumping you will pump all the water out of the vessel, once the water stops flowing then you are starting to re charge the actual bladder, once you get the correct air pressure then close the drain point and repressurise the system, if you do not leave a drain point open it will not work

No, I have seen water pouring out of the shraeder valve and still managed to re charge it,

If there is water in the air space of the vessel then the membrane is at least leaking if not ruptured.

Of course the expansion vessel with a ruptured membrane can be "re-charged" by pumping air into the vessel provided that the displaced water has somewhere to go. ( drain cock or an air space in pipework / radiator for example ). The question is how long will it be before the replacement air is dissolved into the water and the vessel needs another " re-charge"

If there is water in the air space of the vessel then the membrane is at least leaking if not ruptured.

Of course the expansion vessel with a ruptured membrane can be "re-charged" by pumping air into the vessel provided that the displaced water has somewhere to go. ( drain cock or an air space in pipework / radiator for example ). The question is how long will it be before the replacement air is dissolved into the water and the vessel needs another " re-charge"
Nope wrong again Benny boy get googling

Sponsored Links
Nope wrong again Benny boy get googling

Am I wrong ?, explain how I am wrong......

Explain why are membranes necessry if a vessel with a ruptured membrane can be used after re-charge.

Google ? Long the internet came to life I was involved with a system monitoring heating equipment where the water was at 6 bar pressure and well above 100°C.

Am I wrong ?, explain how I am wrong......

Explain why are membranes necessry if a vessel with a ruptured membrane can be used after re-charge.

Google ? Long the internet came to life I was involved with a system monitoring heating equipment where the water was at 6 bar pressure and well above 100°C.
Well you should know about condensation within the membrane if you are such an expert

Well you should know about condensation within the membrane if you are such an expert

Condensation above the membrane ( where the compressable gas is ) would not happen if the vessel has been charged with a dry inert gas. Re-charging with atmospheric air will put some water vapour into the air space.

condensation within the membrane

Even with a multi-layer membrane there should not be condensation in the centre layers, if the water side impermeable layer is damaged then water can be forced into the centre layers.

Just admit that you are wrong, I have charged many hundreds if not thousands of domestic boiler expansion vessels and unvented HW expansion vessels , because I know how to do it as I am a Boiler expert, unlike you that is an expert at absolutely everything, yet I have never seen you get anything correct, your rubbish about a heat anticipator being there to heat the bi-metallic strip to name but one, what does it do in a stat that doesnt have a bi metallic strip ?

what does it do in a stat that doesnt have a bi metallic strip ?

If the sensor is "electronic" ( PT100, thermistor, semi-conductor diode to name but three types of electronic sensor ) then the "effect" of the resistor is created electronically or by software.

if not thousands of domestic boiler expansion vessels and unvented HW expansion vessels

do you never wonder where the missing gas ( or air ) goes. It is after all ( at time of installation ) in a sealed chamber above the flexible but impermiable membrane

I know where the missing Nitrogen goes, or air once it has been recharged, what about a room thermostat with a mercury phial what does the heat anticipator do there ?

If you do then why can you not share the information.
Its not rocket science, if you blow up a balloon does it stay blown up forever ?, if you pump up your car tyre does it never need pumped up again even though you do not have a puncture ?

I’ve had a pint of condensation water from the schraeder before with a perfectly intact membrane. I’m still astounded by the number of heating engineers who can’t repressurize a vessel correctly....and don’t even start me on external unvented vessels, if he doesn’t come down the stairs looking like he’s done a marathon don’t expect too much!

I’ve had a pint of condensation water from the schraeder before with a perfectly intact membrane. I’m still astounded by the number of heating engineers who can’t repressurize a vessel correctly....and don’t even start me on external unvented vessels, if he doesn’t come down the stairs looking like he’s done a marathon don’t expect too much!
I had a white 3 bar expansion vessel, last year the ones with the 4 bolts for just changing the membrane, the water was pouring out at the flange, Landlord insisted on a new one so I fitted a new one ,pumped the old one up to 3 Bar and it is still holding to this day, I am the same as you, I worked for a large company as a manager and couldnt believe how many expansion vessels were being changed, at a TBT I asked if anyone wasnt sure how to test and recharge an EV, not one hand went up, handed out written instructions and said the bad news is that anyone ordering an EV , I am coming with you to make sure it is actually needed, Took six back in the first week, that and blocked Communication hoses, what is so difficult ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back