External light advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice. I have an existing external light which off the top of my head is wired up with 1.5mm cable (on an existing lighting circuit). It's got an external switch etc etc. It's all fine and dandy etc..

I am however looking to install (or have someone install) some more "party/festoon" external lights. I've found what I'm after, they're LED's and all v simple, but the power cable looks like the following:
Screenshot_20200602-172323.png

I'm wondering if I can cut the plug off the end and hardwire this into the existing switch? Or whether I need to go the more obvious route of wiring up an external socket?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
a) Your switch may or may not have a neutral available, don't cut the plug off before you find out.
b) You would somehow need to make a weatherproof hole into your switch - sounds like a bodge at first hearing.

Still if fitting a socket you need to decide where to get the power from, and that raises the question whether you would then ever plug anything that drew more power than the lights into it - (of course you would).

Thanks for the initial reply. Currently a cable comes through the wall, up (in conduit) to an external switch, then leading back down the conduit to a conduit junction and off to an external light.

It's all very tidy.

If I was to lop the plug off, I'd fit an external large junction box, hide all the gubbins/connections in that, and run it up to the switch (which I'll change for a 2 gang switch).

If I did fit an external socket, I wouldn't run anything else off it as there is no need - I can always place it in a locked external socket box and it won't be bothered, but I know running a socket off the lighting cable isn't favoured in the slightest.

Which leaves the other option of climbing into a small roof space, trying to find a socket cable to splice into, hiding it all in a JB, drilling a hole through the exterior wall, fishing it through and going the socket route that way which, would be a lot more work.. but if it's the only option then thats life...

Sponsored Links
First plan sounds better. If you can keep all wiring inside the conduit. With that setup you will have a neutral at the switch so that is one issue out of the way.

A picture with the right hand box cover off may help, theres a Neutral somewhere but may not be at the actual switch
EDIT
Dont matter, you clearly stated the cable goes to the switch first :)

Last edited:
Bit messy the way the indicaters been wired, also i can only see 1 blue in the switch but 2 Browns and 2 Earths, seems odd, think we may need to see whats going on in the round boxes

Ah sorry, the pics missed that bit/I missed that bit.

2 blues come up to the bottom of that loose connecting block, the black leaves the top of the connecting block and heads to the small "LED indicator", black wire then leaves the LED indicator, heads to the second fixed connecting block, from that second block a black wire then heads down to the bottom "1 way" where it joins the brown.

The other boxes are just used as junctions for the conduit iirc. - live feed comes in at the very bottom through the wall, heads up directly to the switch, cable heads out of the switch, down to junction, then across and up to light.

I'll grab some more pictures tomorrow in the daylight.

Thanks for your help so far.

No need for more pics, if theres 2 blues then thats normal.
If your changing the switch anyway, then sort the indicater out then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back