External light which can accommodate multiple cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have 2 external lights that I need to install to light up a walkway at the side of the house. 1 of these lights has 4 1.5mm T&E cables (feed in, feed out, switch, link to second light) and the other light just has the 1 cable.

I brought 2 of these today but am struggling with fitting in the 4 cables:
upload_2016-9-25_20-51-39.png

I can install an exterior junction box but would rather have a light which can accommodate the cables.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
For a start use 1.0 mm cable. 1.5mm is not required for lighting circuits.

too late on this occasion as the ceilings are boarded up and I have the 4 cables popping out of the wall.

I've used several Drum Lights from Screwfix.

Possibly this one http://www.screwfix.com/p/asd-drum-light-white-240v/55141?_requestid=554928 though mine have a black base. Inside is a ceramic BC lampholder and a pressed aluminium reflector, the wiring goes behind the reflector and you could use a choc-block if the terminals are not big enough. They have multiple knockouts on the back and I think four knockouts spread around the drum sides, if the one shown is the same.

I'm using them with 3.4W 250lm LEDs candles from Wickes which seem about as bright as the 8W tube I used to use, and ample for a porch and sideway. The big reflector must help.

Sponsored Links
Why wont it take 4 cables, redrill if neccasary, keep wires clear of hot parts inside, small wago connecters are ideal; for that situation.
A picture of inside the light would have been more help

For a start use 1.0 mm cable. 1.5mm is not required for lighting circuits.
Dont talk rubbish, cable size is dictated by other reasons, not the fact it is lighting.
We use 2.5 and sometimes 4mm a lot for lighting

I considered using wago connectors but can't see it working. There is a tiny bit of space under bulb holder. It can't be outside this as the bulb heat could damage the cables.

Ok, maybe the size is deceiving in the pic, if using an led lamp then the heat is not such a problem.

Dont talk rubbish, cable size is dictated by other reasons, not the fact it is lighting.
We use 2.5 and sometimes 4mm a lot for lighting

Domestic lighting is "fused" at 6 amps. 1.0 mm cable is rated well above that. Nuff said.

On mine, the luminaire is sized for a 100W GLS lamp, so with an LED candle it will be running a long way under design temp.

Perhaps you can arrange the wires to be at the bottom of the enclosure so the warm air will tend to rise away from them.

Edit
I just went down and felt mine. As far as I can detect with the bare hand, it is at ambient temperature.

Last edited:
Domestic lighting is "fused" at 6 amps. 1.0 mm cable is rated well above that. Nuff said.

Oh sorry did not realise youve been round the ops house and checked his consumer unit.
We have been here before, a lot of companies and even local councils refuse to use 1mm

Have to agree with Winston on this one.
This modern insistence and preference for 1.5mm² is just a strange fashion.

Jupiter says it is a house (presumably his) and he's installing, what?, two quarter amp (at the most) lights.

He could probably use smaller than 1mm² flex if he wanted.

I appreciate the point that is being established here but for clarity, this is my house (in response to the earlier question) and I have now used 1.5mm cables and there is no going back on this as the cable run is no longer accessible. I am going to look into the drum light but please do let me know if there are any other practical suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back