External lighting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on in installing two bulkhead lights outside of my property.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/napoli-oval-bulkhead-black-240v/61424

I want to wire them in parallel? (so that they come on at the same time)

I also want to wire the lights to a plugtop as opposed to the lighting circuit.

Am i right in saying that i can use

1. Either 0.75 or 1mm flex cable from the light to the plugtop?

2. Standard 1mm twin and earth to connect the lights between themselves

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
0.75mm is fine current capacity wise if suitably fused, but would probably be not quite so robust for outside use.

Bulkhead fittings are not very stylish, will look ugly on a domestic property and scatter light in all directions. They are more usually used on industrial locations.

Sponsored Links
So it's best to go for 1mm as opposed to 0.75mm?

The difference in price is minimal, so if its a better job using 1mm, we'll take that

I agree, bulkheads are ugly.

The light is actually going on the back of my garage. My garage overlooks my property.

The aim is to get good lighting from a small fitting to illuminate my front area.

Ideally, i wouldn't mind something small enough to install on the facia

Do you have any suggestions on something slightly more attractive? :D

You will not get good lighting from 60w bulkheads, 60w does not provide much light in an outdoors situation. Chances of being able to open the fitting to replace the lamp in a cheap rusted up fitting, after a few months use - almost nil. Flood light fitting are much better illumination wise, particularly the LED flood lights, though still quite industrial looking.

I'm not suggesting this style, but these look more domestic style https://www.screwfix.com/p/asd-black-bc-pir-coach-lantern-wall-light/51500

They have a PIR, but you may not need one - just an example of something better looking. Fit an LED lamps and they will be quite cheap to run.

Yeah that PIR light is far better looking

Thanks for the advice Harry. Much appreciated

you can get those lantern lights from screwfix without the PIR is you don't need a PIR. They look good but do take a while to put together. Each piece of glass needs to be fitted. Once all together with an LED lamp they should work well. Check what lamps are needed. I've got 8 of them around my house and some are ES and others are BC.

I have just the one, I bought from Ebay and on from dusk till 11pm via a Smart Plug now, just to provide some light in my drive. It came fully assembled, with the lenses sealed with HT sealant, cost me around £12. I fitted an ES LED lamp for long life/low power. As it is so dark around here, I also have three 70w high pressure flood lamps mounted under the eaves, now on a separate Smart Plug. Putting up more of the lanterns would look nice, but would not provide much light coverage for the area, whereas my floods do.

I'm planning on in installing two bulkhead lights outside of my property.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/napoli-oval-bulkhead-black-240v/61424

I want to wire them in parallel? (so that they come on at the same time)

I also want to wire the lights to a plugtop as opposed to the lighting circuit.

Am i right in saying that i can use

1. Either 0.75 or 1mm flex cable from the light to the plugtop?

2. Standard 1mm twin and earth to connect the lights between themselves

dont bother with the bulkheads with lamps in them. I recently fitted these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-l3512-led-oval-bulkhead-white-8w/7271p and was amazed at how much light they gave (and they are cheaper than your choice!)

dont bother with the bulkheads with lamps in them. I recently fitted these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-l3512-led-oval-bulkhead-white-8w/7271p and was amazed at how much light they gave (and they are cheaper than your choice!)
Which will last longer though? When the integrated led bulkhead packs in you'll have to either get the soldering iron out or chuck it in the bin. Also one is cast alloy and glass, the other white and clear plastic, which might go brittle

And without a lot of messing round, you can't change the brightness.
One that takes a bulb could have anything from a 3w to 20w led (assuming it doesn't get too hot!)

When I moved here there was an old coughtrie bulkhead mounted on one of the partially collapsed outbuildings. Made in Glasgow, don't know how old it is, but probably older than me?!
I gave it a quick lick of grey paint, and it's now mounted on another shed, running an LED radar/microwave bulb so it comes on when you're close by.

One that takes a bulb could have anything from a 3w to 20w led (assuming it doesn't get too hot!)

It's the tiny amount of heat generated by a LED, in a poorly ventilated fitting, which often kill the LED lamps. I would be wary of fitting anything larger than a 6w LED, in a small fitting which lacks any ventilation.

Thanks for the advice and comments guys

If anyone is interested, in the end i went with these. About £14 from Iconic Lights

18899_c_3.jpg

Much better looking than the bulkhead and they're arriving today!

Can't wait to get them up :D:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back