External lights - Help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Any one installed 'brick lights' before?

I am having a brick wall built tommorow and the missus has decided at the last minute that she wants brick lights incorporated into the wall. I have a few spare ways on RCD side at fuseboard so it will be on its own circuit. I need to run the cables as he lays the wall, which is only going to be one course deep. My questions are as follows:

1). 1.5mm T&E is more than capable of the load, but i'm not sure if it's suitable for this type of outside installtion? Is there a special weather resistent equivilent I should use? (bearing in mind there is no room for SWA or conduit)

2). The cables will be mechanically protected by the bricks but where exactly do I run the cables and how do I run the cable without damaging or crushing them?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What sort of wall is it? Double skin? Single skin with soil behind?

If its a double skin, run the cable in the cavity (though this is frowned on, you have little option) If its retaining soil behind it, run the cable in conduit fixed to the wall before the soil is backfilled.

What sort of wall is it? Double skin? Single skin with soil behind?

If its a double skin, run the cable in the cavity
Nobody uses cavity walls outside, what would be the point?

It may be a 4" wall or a 9" one, but either way there will be no cavity.

Sponsored Links
TTC - I'm aware this is notifiable work.

Thanks to all for replies

as you said "which is only going to be one course deep" I am presuming you mean a single skin wall, i.e no cavity, you will have to wire the lights in conduit or swa when the wall is finished on the back of the wall.

You could give the builder the lights to install as he builds the wall but you cant wire them in untill its built.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back