External Power Sockettap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all. I have an external power socket at the front of my house enclosed in an IP66 enclosure. I'm looking to install an external tap out there too so that I can wash the car and also wash the front garden with a pressure washer.

I wanted to know how much of a gap there should be between the power socket and the tap as there is not a lot of space where the tap can be installed, other than near the already existing power socket?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you are cramped for space, place the tap lower than the socket.
Leave at least 50mm between the tap and edge of the socket.

IP66 means Protection against powerful water jet
So you should be OK, bearing in mind the IP rating only applies when the socket cover is shut!

Cool - thanks for that. It's either that or I use a longer hose I guess. But thanks again.

Doesn't matter where the water comes from, the issue of pressure washing in the vicinity of the socket still applies.

Sponsored Links
It all depends on your definition of pressure though.
The x6 definition is as follows:
unspecified.png

100l/min for 3 minutes - that's better than your average Karcher. The most powerful only delivers a maximum 1300l/lr = 21 l/min. Thats only 20% of the resistance standard of IP66.

The complete definition is in IEC 60529. They key point is the 12.5 mm diameter of the nozzle. There's a large volume of water flowing, but not at the nozzle pressure and consequent velocity produced by a pressure washer.

Even a small karcher pumps water out at a velocity high enough for there to be noticeable recoil at the gun.

But unless someone is daft enough to direct the jet onto the socket, whatever splashes up from the ground or off a car is not going to bother an IP66 socket at all.

Providing the socket has been installed correctly with the supplied seals etc and is in good condition!

Well, yes, of course.

My point was that there's no reason not to have the tap near to the socket, if that's the best place for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back