Sending power to Summerhouse

'tis but a few minutes work to calculate how long a 3kW (max) heater will take to raise Xl of water from Y°C to Z°C assuming no losses.

Sponsored Links
'tis but a few minutes work to calculate how long a 3kW (max) heater will take to raise Xl of water from Y°C to Z°C assuming no losses.
I would imagine there are great losses having Xl of water in basically a huge bath covered with a bit of expanding foam outside 24/7

'Hot tub' often means one of these, and they are supplied with a 13A plug fitted.

1449127_R_Z001A

Sponsored Links
Hopefully if someone was spending 4 grand on a hot tub they would not consider just plugging it in.

On the other hand, the product details include this:

socket_tub.png

so anything is possible.

raise Xl of water from Y°C to Z°C assuming no losses.

Well, I worked out an example to see what ballpark it's in...

800 litres, from 15° to 37° (just picked because it's body temp), with a 2kw heater, would take 10.2 hours!!

With real world losses, it's not going to be quite what people had hoped for!

Well, I worked out an example to see for myself... 800 litres, from 15° to 37° (just picked because it's body temp), with a 2kw heater, would take 10.2 hours!! ... With real world losses, it's not going to be quite what people had hoped for!
Don't some of these people with more money than sense leave them switched on more-or-less continuously? If so, they would presumably not be too concerned about the initial heat-up time.

To be fair, if they do sell some hot tubs with 13A plugs, they are probably pushing that plug to its limit - so you probably should have calculated on the basis of 3kW (i.e. about 6.8 hours).

Mind you, I recall that in my grandparents' house, if anyone wanted a bath, the coal fire/boiler had to be fired up, followed by a wait of a good few hours before there was a tank full of hot water at a usable temp - so maybe they wouldn't have been too shocked by 6.8 or 10.2 hours!

Kind Regards, John

Don't some of these people with more money than sense leave them switched on more-or-less continuously?
Proper hot tubs are designed to be left on 24/7, but they have decent amounts of insulation in the sides/base and a very thick insulated lid.

Proper hot tubs are designed to be left on 24/7, but they have decent amounts of insulation in the sides/base and a very thick insulated lid.
That makes sense. If they are well insulated (and used reasonably often) it might even be more cost-effective to leave them on 2/7 (a bit like the decades-old immersion heater debate!).

Kind Regards, John

That makes sense. If they are well insulated (and used reasonably often) it might even be more cost-effective to leave them on 24/7 (a bit like the decades-old immersion heater debate!).

Kind Regards, John

It is never more cost effective to leave anything on 24/7. Maximum losses are at the working temperature. Any period at a lower temperature, however short, will result in less overall losses.

So they're a warm bacterial stew of exfoliated skin, hair, grease, grime and bodily fluids.

It is never more cost effective to leave anything on 24/7. Maximum losses are at the working temperature. Any period at a lower temperature, however short, will result in less overall losses.
That does, indeed, seem 'obvious' - but, as I said, there have been decades of debate about this (in relation to domestic immersion heaters), amongst people who are not all totally daft - although I can't currently recall the various arguments.

I think that one of the variables is the question of what one is trying to achieve. Those who want the water always to be close to 'working temperature' will be switching it on whenever the temperature falls a little, thereby more-or-less emulating what the thermostat would be doing if they left it always switched on. If the human being had less 'hysteresis' than the thermostat, I suppose that could result in an increased energy usage.

Kind Regards, John

ISTR that the rate of heat loss, or transfer from A to B, is proportional to the gradient between A&B.

If so surely a cylinder of hot water will lose more heat if kept at a high temperature than if it is allowed to cool?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back