Wiring a summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run cable to a summerhouse and want to install two or three sockets.

Some time ago I had an old coal bunker converted to an office and had an electrician install the electrics.

He connected and installed a breaker box from the mains and then installed two 13 amp sockets.

What I want to know is if I connect the correct external cable to one of the sockets in the office, can I run this down the garden to the summerhouse into a socket and then run two further sockets from the first?

I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Stan

Sponsored Links
The key to all this is what your sparks installed in the coal bunker and what sized cable it is.

Could you review the coal bunker breaker box (I assume this is a small consumer unit) and detail it's switch rating, the size and type of MCB it has and if there are any spare positions. The cable type between coal bunker and house should also be stated.

You also need to look at the main house consumer unit and advise on the fuse rating for the cable feed to your coal bunker.

IF such details are posted and they are suitably sized I would suggest that your looking at a cable feed between the coal bunker and summer house, a new MCB from the coal bunker consumer unit and a simple 3 socket radial circuit in the summer house.

An idea of the distance between house unit and coal bunker, and coal bunker to summer house would be helpful so cable size v voltage drop can be considered.

You should note that external works of this type is notifiable works under Part P either via the LBC or by employing a suitable spark with Part P scheme registration.

Thanks for your comments on this project. I didn't realise that building regs would be a requirement for this and found this out afetr I postged the message.

From what you have said It sounds a little complicated for me and wouldn't want to risk life and limb to save a few quid, so i've contacted a sparky who's coming round on Friday to give me a quote

Thanks again

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back