Power to a summerhouse with outside socket kit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I have a summerhouse at the bottom of the garden and I'd like to get some proper power to it. I have seen pre-wired external socket kits in a common DIY store which apparently don't require payment of a large fee to local authority to install. I was wondering if I could use one of these kits to fit a socket inside a summerhouse. The summerhouse is about 10 meters from my garage from where I'd like to take power from. Am I correct thinking the kits have to be plugged into a socket and cannot be wired via a fused spur or a MCB in a CU?
Of course I'd rather do it with SWA from RCBO in main CU to separate CU in the summerhouse containing MCBs for the socket and a light but local authority wants about £500 off me which seems like extortion.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
No you cannot. As it will be permanent fixed wiring you need to jump through the relevant hoops.

Why not get an electrician ta advise? They may be willing to let you do all the donkey work and you will know it's all safe (you could not know this without having all the test gear etc, it's NOT just a case of wiring it up and seeing if it works).

DIY sheds also sell gas boilers . . . .

Sponsored Links
That's just un-glorified, RCD protected extension lead.
Is it legal?
I didn't think extension leads could be used as a fixed installation!

Legal to sell, but using it for fixed wiring means it is notifiable and therefore lawbreaking is inevitable.

Just another electrical item which should be banned.

The kit I saw was at B&Q but does not appear to be on their website (I had a look for it), it was a bit more sophisticated than the kit linked above and came with SWA cable and also some of the warning tape for placing above it if buried. Think it was about £70 or so.

Here is a similar kit on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TWIN-RCD-OUTDOOR-WALL-SOCKET-KIT-NEW-/370498306002

Extract from the description:
An Outdoor Socket Kit is the simplest and safest way for the DIY installation of an outdoor weatherproof socket.

Such CE marked pre-wired kits are the only way outdoor sockets can be installed without certification by approved electrician

Anyway, looks like I will just stick with reeling out a 20m extension and feeding the plug though the kitchen window every time I need power in the summerhouse.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Extract from the description:
An Outdoor Socket Kit is the simplest and safest way for the DIY installation of an outdoor weatherproof socket.

Such CE marked pre-wired kits are the only way outdoor sockets can be installed without certification by approved electrician
Yeah, right....

Simply drill a 10mm hole through your wall (taking care to avoid any electrical cables and water pipes), feed through the 3 metres of pre-wired flex provided and cut to the required length.

Wire in the RCD
and simply plug into an indoor supply.
What part of "pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections do those bozos not understand?

:rolleyes:

Simply drill a 10mm hole through your wall (taking care to avoid any electrical cables and water pipes)

and create a bridge across the cavity for rain water to reach the inner wall

And what about missing gas pipes ?.

No doubt full instructions are provided with the kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back