External radon pipe - can I just cap it off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Currently the pipe is connected to the sump at one end - can I just cap it off at the other rather than venting? I know I can stick a vent on it and thats fine but I would need to elbow off and run a bit before vented so I thought just capping it would be easier?

Sponsored Links
Thats if there is any??? As I understand it the pipe is only there if you have high levelsand need to pump it away...??

Why did they install it if there wasn't any?
Where are you?
Screenshot_20221201_211238_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thats if there is any??? As I understand it the pipe is only there if you have high levelsand need to pump it away...??
So what happens if you do get high levels the week after you cap it?

I suspect messing with radon protection may be controlled work under the building regulations.

The pipe and radon sump are there to provide passive ventilation, even when not connected to an extraction unit, so no you shouldn't cap it off.
An extraction unit is installed if the vented pipe alone doesn't provide enough ventilation when tested after its installed.

Why did they install it if there wasn't any?
Where are you?
Local BC down this neck of the woods have for years considered the Radon maps to be a work of fiction and you can potentially get Radon anywhere at some point irrespective of what the maps may say, so a Radon barrier must be fitted (but no other measures) (domestic extensions). Afterall if an extension is built with a Radon measures what about the existing house that has none.

Yeah we're in Cornwall where radon is apparently quite high. As said Im not trying to circumnavigate the system its more the radon pipe being in the way of other pipes.

As mentioned, my understanding is that the maps have been proved to be quite inaccurate, have you ever had it checked? Have any of your neighbours? Why was the vent fitted? A new build house, extension or remedial installation or what? If you actually have Radon then a fan might be necessary which is the point of the vent pipes. Also that vent you linked to will let the rain in, it should be a rain proof cap.

From experience all plans (extensions new builds etc) ask for radon sumps as standard down this way. We dont need a pump just the sump with a vent pipe as installed. Will vent off properly to make sure its right

Local BC down this neck of the woods have for years considered the Radon maps to be a work of fiction and you can potentially get Radon anywhere at some point irrespective of what the maps may say, so a Radon barrier must be fitted (but no other measures) (domestic extensions). Afterall if an extension is built with a Radon measures what about the existing house that has none.

There’s 2 types of radon protection categories - basic or full.
Basic protection is achieved by just a membrane, full protection requires a membrane + either a vented clear void below the floor or the radon sump/pipe within the ground.

Some years ago there was a great hoo haa about Radon, everyone and his brother became radon testers, now its all gone very quiet. Years ago on holiday in Austria they were exhalling the virtues of staying in an old mine and inhaling the beneficial radon gas, do the Austrians know something that we don't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back