External Rendering Assignment for college (Please Help)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am doing a 2year (1 day a week) plastering course at college and need a hand with an assignment please.

Basically there are plans for a house, At the same height as the upstairs windows there are 4 recess panels around 1oocm by 100cm. The house is a newly built one.

The question is
The 4 coloured recessed panels on the front north west wall are to be carried out in one coat coloured render. Describe in detail how this would be applied and finished.

I know nothing about coloured render but have been told that it is bought coloured and you just add water, Please could someone give me a guide as to applying 1 coat render, how thick, background prepping and how to finish off.

Thanks to anyone who can contribute some good advice.

Im doing ok on the rest of the course but have not covered anything to do with rendering yet.

Cheers

steve

Sponsored Links
I will tell you this evening Allways learning as I have to go to work right now, but firstly do you mean the opposite of recessed on theese panels, as in, they stand proud of the other rendered surface.
Or J bonding might know the answer??? :eek: So feel free J.B!

Im sorry but the plans dont actually say if the recess panels hollow into the wall or hang proud over existing render.

Only info i have is There are 4 coloured recessed panels, on the upper floor north west wall, which are to be finished in a coloured one coat rendering as a texture.

I just need basic details of applying the 1 coat render, As there wont be a scratch coat would i need to key with a scutch hammer? (its newly built) or just rake any joints out. Does this coloured 1 coat have waterproofer mixed in or do i need to add it?

How thick would i apply the render, I am told between 9 - 15mm thick for normal coats but dont know for 1 coat. And how do you finish it as a texture.

I can scan the diagram of the front elevation showing the panels if anyone needs to see.

These assignments are quite basic as the whole thing should be done in 4hrs max so i just need the basics.

Thanks for any help, I could find out at college on thursday but i like to try to get help elswhere if i can.

Thanks again

Steve

do a search on k rend. apply as a normal float coat,if it needs building up apply a scratch coat and build up. rule it flat, the stuff ive used in the past is left overnight and rubbed up the next day with a devil float to give a textured finish.look here http://www.k-rend.co.uk/flash.htm

Sponsored Links
Thanks that was great info, Im almost done now.

The last part now says
(a) Special care will nees to be exercised when working on the coloured recessed panels. What precautions would you recommend to ensure the brickwork is not stained by the rendering?

Is there an outside masking tape type stuff to mask around the bricks to protect them?

(B) If the job has been carried out in winter and an unexpected sharp over-night frost has occured.
i) What checks could you carry out on the previous work.?

(cracking must be one, frost/ice on the existing workcould the render have not set/cured properly if the work froze up)

ii) What precautions would you take before commencing further work.?

(scrape back any frost/ice hack any cracked part and re apply, re key if needed. make sure area is clean and dry before starting.)

Any further advice or if i am barking up the wrong tree please point me in the right direction.

Thanks again

If a sharp overnight frost occured and your render hadnt dried then :cry: you wont see cracking straight away and the hollow sound will only occur when it has cured a few weeks later i think it would be f--ked

This actually happened to me on two walls and a plinth and as a precaution i took the lot off and power washed the walls--i did this the following morning while the render was still soft on the basis it will be easier to get off now than when its gone hard---just scrapped it off and washed clean with a power wash very messy but...........

Always Learning said:
Thanks that was great info, Im almost done now.

The last part now says
(a) Special care will nees to be exercised when working on the coloured recessed panels. What precautions would you recommend to ensure the brickwork is not stained by the rendering?

Is there an outside masking tape type stuff to mask around the bricks to protect them?

(B) If the job has been carried out in winter and an unexpected sharp over-night frost has occured.
i) What checks could you carry out on the previous work.?

(cracking must be one, frost/ice on the existing workcould the render have not set/cured properly if the work froze up)

ii) What precautions would you take before commencing further work.?

(scrape back any frost/ice hack any cracked part and re apply, re key if needed. make sure area is clean and dry before starting.)

Any further advice or if i am barking up the wrong tree please point me in the right direction.

Thanks again

a) do not over load your hand board, keep tools clean, make sure where your working is clean and take your time, im not sure if theres a masking tape but nailingsheets of visquine accross the bottom of where your working, nail into the joints will help.
b)probably tapping it will tell you if its failed or it might not happen straight away. covering the area with sheets of hessian i believe helps. youve answered most of the questions yourself so you cant be doing to bad.

just to add in two penneth, sheets of bubble wrap is a very effective way of protecting completed work from frost or brickwork you know you will be working on the next day which could be subject to frost

by the way always learning, its nice to see someone come on here who has asked for help and has shown that they have made some inroads into the questions themselves. many people come on here and expect all the work to de done for them. what course/qualification are you studying?

Cheers
Thermo / Jbonding / Freddie / Legs

I will add bids of your input and get the assignment done tonight while at work.

I am doing a Solid Plastering 1 day a week course over 2 years, In my 2nd year now.

I bought dvds from gold trowel and a few others on venetian plastering etc.

I have plastered out 4 full rooms now all re-skims and done 2 lofts out plaster boarded and skimmed.

I have not done any dot and dab yet or rendering or floor screeds.

The problem with the college courses is that you get too many breaks at college and there is so much theory and not enough practical.

The course isnt really designed for me, i already have a job but i get very little job satisfaction so am learning a new skill/trade.

They get young lads on modern apprentechip giving them 40 quid a week and they are supposed to get practical experience from their bosses, The college just get you the certificate and give a few tips. I am lucky that i have been able to do jobs in my own house and learn from my mistakes. I really want to do well, I am not a money orientated person i am old school take pride in my work and wont give up.

Just a young 33 year old spring chicken.

Anyhow thanks a lot for helping me out.

If i get stuck or need advice i know where to look.

where are you based? you sound like your looking the right way you should maybe look at getting in with a small builder or advertise and do the jobs at weekend for more experience.

Im in the North East between Middlesborough and Whitby.

Im in the process of getting a van at the mo, Have a load of tools, Try to get the good stuff stainless steel.

Might invest in stilts when i get going, axminster.com do them cheap

I have a few jobs on here and there but your right i need to get on with someone to learn the trade better. I will let you know how well i get on in the future, Thanks

So give the man a start J.B. You seem to do the odd day every other month

Stilts are W**K..... would not use them if they were given to me, slow you down and a danger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back