External Security Light With PIR Sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very annoying problem with the new security light i have just purchased and fitted.

I wired the light from the mini consumer unit in my garage.

I took a feed from the lighting circuit to a switch and then to the security light.

All works fine as a security PIR i.e. when it senses movement it comes on for a minute and then goes off.

The light is supposed to have a manual over ride facility (discussed on other forum topics on this website) whereby if you turn the switch for the light on/off within 1 secod the light remains on permanently.

The other half wants this facility for when we have family bbq's etc.

I just cannot make the manual over ride facility work. When i flick the switch on/off and on, the light comes on for a min then goes off.

Have i missed something simple ?

ANy thoughts appreciated.

Simon

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound like you've installed it incorrectly but i'll stand corrected by any qualified spark who says otherwise.

I bought an energy saving PIR floodlight from TLC Direct and the manual over-ride didnt work on that either. In fact if anyone stood near it for long enough it would go out after a few minutes as if it was overheating (very energy efficient). So I had a free replacement from TLC and seems to work ok (plugged into bedroom socket through a hole in the wall).

Is it definitely staying on for a minute in 'over-ride' mode and then comes on the moment it senses someone nearby? If so it might be due to an error on your part - or you could take it back and try another one.

Yes it does come on for a minute and then off in override mode.

I checked all the wiring again and all okay as far as i can see.

Confusing.

Simon

sounds like its ired right, but the on / off must be done quicky for it to stay on.

Sponsored Links
Been out to the garage again tonight and double checked everything incl wiring into the light, switch etc and all looks okay to me. Still works on infared but not on manual over ride. Manual says to switch on/off within 1 sec, which i have done but no joy. Thanks for your reply and assistance. I have an electrician coming around Thurs to make sure all is in order before the light goes back.

Regards

Simon

i say its wired right, but one thing i did miss, turn the switch off and walk infront of the light does it come on? it shouldnt

well without seeing it it does sound like you have wired it correctly

Had the wiring checked out, all wired ok. So light went back and got a replacement that now works with PIR and manual over ride for continuous light.

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back