PIR security Light

C

ColinJacobson

A PIR security light that can be switched on permanently. I believe they stay on by switching the main switch on and off quickly.

The lights sold in the sheds appear to be tat and fail quickly. Can anyone recommend a maker and supplier of a decent light?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I got 2 from Scrwfix a couple of years ago (I think they were about £10 each).

They both lasted 2 years and worked fine until the bulbs went. The screw to replace the bulbs was carroded beyond repair on both and so they had to go in the bin.

Sponsored Links
screwfix and B&Q sell the same lights.

Yes, both are owned by Kingfisher Group plc.

To thornton_chris

When you buy light fittings they will come with the cheapest lamps that they can get. Many die in infancy.

You did well if you got 2 years out of a lamp that has to go from freezing cold (outside) to 600ºC in milliseconds.

Also the screws on a £12 PIR flood won't be made of stainless steel.
Maybe worth popping a squirt of WD40 on those screws next time....

I have bought some good lights from B&Q, to be honest. A twin PL bulkhead light I got is holding up well, despite their cheap control gear.

i have given up attempting to buy decent PIR's they all seem to fail after a few months.

the first smiths PIR bulkhead i fitted 25 years ago still functions as it did the day it was first put up. just a few light bulb changes!

i have given up attempting to buy decent PIR's they all seem to fail after a few months.

the first smiths PIR bulkhead i fitted 25 years ago still functions as it did the day it was first put up. just a few light bulb changes!

Thanks. Are you saying there are no decent PIR security lights available?

My local supplier is selling Polycarbonate pir's with led's. Not tried them yet but believe they are pretty good.

You did well if you got 2 years out of a lamp that has to go from freezing cold (outside) to 600ºC in milliseconds.

I moved into Secure Towers in June 1999, inheriting a floodlight in the back garden. It has done daily service every year since and I have not once changed the lamp.

Can I have a biscuit?

I moved into Secure Towers in June 1999, inheriting a floodlight in the back garden. It has done daily service every year since and I have not once changed the lamp.

Can I have a biscuit?

Ahh, they don't make lamps like they used to...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back