External solid fuel flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title I am wanting to put a second hand AGA/Rayburn in our kitchen. It will go on an outside wall which doesnt have an existing chimney, so obviously I need an external flue.

After pricing a flue it looks like it will cost £1100 + fitting, which A. I can't afford and B. Sticks in my throat when the price of the bloomin Aga will be around £400. :cry:

Is there any alternative? Does anyone know of somewhere where I can get cheaper flues?

The AGA was going to be the room's focal point so this seriously puts a dent in our plans.

Sponsored Links
That's cheap for an AGA, new ones are thousands of pounds rather than hundreds. Solid fuel flues are expensive, that's just the way it is...how much were you budgeting to spend??

What fuel is your AGA using Oil, Gas or Solid?

£1,100 for a double skin external flue is a Good Price!
and £400 for the AGA is incredible value,

Not wishing to be funny, but have you any idea of the weekly running cost of one of tese?!! :confused:

That's cheap for an AGA, new ones are thousands of pounds rather than hundreds. Solid fuel flues are expensive, that's just the way it is...

There are a plethora of Aga/rayburns for that sort of money if you dont mind refurbing them. The flue on the other hand is a different matter. Guess we'll be having a crappy electric cooker :cry:

Sponsored Links
it may be cheaper to build a brick chimney on the outside as i did once a few years ago all did was to cast a 6" concrete slab into the wall with reinforced wires that was about 5 ft off the floor outside i then used clay 9"liners and toothed the bricks in as i went up and filled around the liners with cement making a solid job.
I fitted a soot door to the base that allowed the flue pipe to go up just below the liner and form a soot trap, i suppose it depends weather you are comptetent to do this type of job i found it a doddle i had never done any ext brickwork before and it turned out great and it will last a lifetime

mick

What fuel is your AGA using Oil, Gas or Solid?

Sorry, should have said. It's solid

1,100 for a double skin external flue is a Good Price!

Bugg*r. Was worried you may say that.

£400 for the AGA is incredible value,

See my previous post.

wishing to be funny, but have you any idea of the weekly running cost of one of tese?!! :confused:

I've been researching these things for nearly 12 months, so yes I do :)

it may be cheaper to build a brick chimney on the outside as i did once a few years ago all did was to cast a 6" concrete slab into the wall with reinforced wires that was about 5 ft off the floor outside i then used clay 9"liners and toothed the bricks in as i went up and filled around the liners with cement making a solid job.
I fitted a soot door to the base that allowed the flue pipe to go up just below the liner and form a soot trap, i suppose it depends weather you are comptetent to do this type of job i found it a doddle i had never done any ext brickwork before and it turned out great and it will last a lifetime

mick

Ahhhh, now that is interesting. I'll do some research on that. Cheers :D

We paid £1500 for a good condition gas 2 oven Aga off Ebay and another £1500 for the double-skinned SS flue. Not strictly necessary as it's inside but we wanted a quality job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back