External South Facing Sweedoor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi-Have a Sweedoor hardwood external south facing door that was not treated regularly with teak oil and was at some point varnished-unsure of the type. As a result of the warmer weather the varnish has peeled and exposed the wood itself, which itself is all very sound thankfully and showing no sign of degradation. The rest of the window frames etc on the south facing side are very good as a result of proper t/c and are a very light mahogany. What is the best way too strip the door, prepare and repaint/treat/stain, so that the theme is continued Any ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated. Kindest regards.

Sponsored Links
I would go with paint stripper to avoid burning it.

As Zampa says but i would then treat with Sikkens Filter 7, about 3 or 4 coats, good stuff.

Yeh so much better than Sadolin IMO

Sponsored Links
Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the professional advice-greatly appreciated. Regards

Pleasure...maybe you might want to think about taking the door off and work on it flat..its easier and safer.

Folks - Got the Sikkens Filter 7. Given that I am stripping the door back, do you think I should use HLS? Gonna start this weekend so if you get the chance to reply, would be greatly appreciated. As was stated, the guy in the trade centre states the filter 7 is the, "mutts danglies". Thanks

Folks - Got the Sikkens Filter 7. Given that I am stripping the door back, do you think I should use HLS? Gonna start this weekend so if you get the chance to reply, would be greatly appreciated. As was stated, the guy in the trade centre states the filter 7 is the, "mutts danglies". Thanks

I would always use the HLS on bare wood. Its the main basecoat or a finish in it's own right. (far better IMO) though more mainenance.
http://www.sikkens.co.uk/en/Product...stain+Systems+-+Traditional+Solvent-borne.htm

on bare wood you should apply one coat of HLS followed by 2 coats of filter7.

Good luck.

Sikkens id far better than Sadolin IMO...lovely finish and easier to use.

Thanks for the prompt responses. Very much appreciated. A tin of HLS it is then! Kindest regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back