External stop tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Long story short, I need to replace my internal Stopcock as it is very old looking and is prone to leaking a bit. After just tightening it up and ignoring it for a while I have decide it's time for it to go before it turns into an issue.

The problem I am having is that I can't figure out how to turn the external stop tap off. Its not like anything I've seen before it Doesn't look like the normal "tap" type or one of the square types.

To me it looks and feels like a tap with no handle!?

I have spoken to united utilities and they are sending someone out to have a look for me.

I just want to check I'm not being completely stupid before they turn up!

I have attached a photo (sorry its not the best but it was taken on my phone), any advice would be appreciated. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Is there a thread on the end of the spigot, maybe someone took the handle bit off, or broke it off.

Didn't really feel like there was a thread, but I will double check when I get home.

My guess was that the handle had been broken I just wanted to check if anyone had seen it before. :)

Sponsored Links
The external stop tap is the responsibility of the water supplier. If they decide its dodgy they will schedule it for replacement. They may also take the opportunity to add a water meter if you don't already have one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back