External Stopcock cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Not sure if this is the right place or I should be over in the plumbing section but we are getting our front garden repaved and trying to find out what we can do re the external stop cock. There is currently a plastic screw on cover that sits above the paving and I wanted a recessed cover that is flush and can match the new paving (the same as they've done with the manhole cover).

Our builder isn't sure this is permitted as you're not allowed to cover with paving even though it will have an access key, but Thames Water say that provided it's accessible then it's fine (although they won't put this in writing). Anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I think your Builder is right not to cover a stop tap, if you or others need this in an emergency it has to be visible.

This tap if it's the first one on the property then the tap , cover etc would owned by the water company not the property owner.

For gods sake don't hide it.

John D , is right, your internal stop tap may not isolate for what ever reason.

I worked for a water company and have seen this very many times, customers always wanted to blame us until it was explained that the internal S/Tap or if they have installed an extra one in the garden it was theirs.

Water/ Sewage companies are only responsible up the the boundary of the property.

There may be some companies that will go beyond the boundary.

Sponsored Links
....Thames Water say that provided it's accessible then it's fine (although they won't put this in writing)...

Perhaps they mean, if you're fool enough to pave over it, that's your problem, not theirs.

Imagine running into the garden, in the dark, wearing your nightie, trying to find and open it while water pours through your ceilings.

Just a tip, before winter make sure your inside and outside Stop tap isolates, remember what goes through the meter you pay for.

And open the tap fully THEN TURN BACK ONE TURN, this stops it seizing fully open , unless you have a new quarter turn tap.

Can't count the times I have found these fully open customers have rung the top off then unable to shut off.

Hope this has been a help

Thanks all! Just to clarify, i wasn't planning on paving over as I know we need access, but looking at a hinged cover that could match the new paving rather than the plastic twist on cover we already have.

Thanks all! Just to clarify, i wasn't planning on paving over as I know we need access, but looking at a hinged cover that could match the new paving rather than the plastic twist on cover we already have.
I don't see anything wrong with that. I think some of the other answers assumed you meant to cover it, with no access. Just had a look at mine, and it's on the pavement outside, with a hinged cover (Severn Trent). The valve has a large plastic handle, so doesn't need a key (I assume, though never had occasion to use it). Can reach down to the handle, I guess the valve and pipe are about 600mm deep, as needed because of frost. I make sure my internal stopcock works OK!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back