external vent for bathroom extractor fan - any regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had extractor fans added to bathrooms, kitchen and utility in my completely remodernised house and I am wondering if there are any building regs that the electrician should have adhered to regarding the vent cover on the external rendered wall.
Im currently getting lots of freezing air coming through the vent hole created for the vent, plus the fins inside are permanently turning from the wind coming in, which is a very uncomfortable nightmare. It is exactly the same as having the window permanently wide open.
So the hole in the wall outside has been very badly covered with a plastic grille (which has insect mesh on it, only after i insisted), which does nothing to stop the freezing air gushing into my house.
I only want to know if this would be covered by building regs in any way, so i know if the electrician is obliged to change it, or if they are allowed to only put on these £2 vents externally, or if i have to deal with the matter myself at my cost.
(I am paying the electrician £000's to rewire my whole house and he has tried to get away with shortcuts all along .. so i'd like to know where i stand on this from a building regs standpoint).

Sponsored Links
I greatly prefer the cowl vent.

The type with a row of little flaps rattle annoyingly in the wind, until they fall off in a storm.

Better fans also have a very light butterfly flap to block wind.

Please post photos of yours, inside and out.

The cowl throws off rain and gives some wind protection. It has a single large flap.

I hopd your installer fitted a plastic duct in the wall.

is there anything within building regs that state a fan should have a backdraft prevention mechanism of some sort? (Plastic duct i believe). Pictures attached of current vent, ducting i believe has been used, current external vent cover. Im not looking for solutions at this stage, just whether the electrician is obliged to put it right or if he has done all he needs to do to comply with building regs.

Attachments

• bathroom vent.jpg
    bathroom vent.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 37
  • vent duct.jpg
    vent duct.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 31
  • scren.jpg
    scren.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
There is not a backdraught regulation.

I can't tell the make and model of your fan, so I don't know how good it is.

Does the duct just go straight through the wall? Or run in the loft or something?

ahh darn. with all the regs on insulation and ventilation - seems a bit crazy that an electrician can basically core out a whacking great big hole in my wall and that's ok. The duct just goes straight through the wall.

looks like the make is deta - i couldnt spot a model. (The electrician destroyed my newly plastered wall, installing it .. what a nightmare)

Attachments

• ensuite fan.jpg
    ensuite fan.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 44

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back