External wall blockwork - has my builder made a mess?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a builder doing some work in my bathroom.
There is a wall that had a weird shape and the builder asked me if I wanted to have it flat. I told him that, if the wall was non-load bearing, then yes. If it was load bearing, absolutely not. I left him in the room and after a while he came down saying that he had proceeded to eliminate this weird shape. After a while I went back up and, to my horror, I realized that what he had taken out was actually the blockwork of the external wall. Please see images below:

1658768225001.png

In blue is the external brick wall.
In green is the internal blockwork. What they have done is they have removed the RED blockwork. It's about 40 centimeters in total in length.

1658768400474.png

To me, this seems like a massive problem. Am I wrong? What should I do?
Above there's the roof and there does not seems to be structural elements that lay in this stretch.
I've pointed this out to the builder. He said that tomorrow he will fix it. He did not seem to make much of it but I am kind of freaking out :eek:. Am I making a big thing out of nothing or is this indeed a huge mess? What should be done to fix this? I want to be sure I don't end up with structural problems, cracks and so on :oops:

Sponsored Links
Not sure what he was trying to do. Looks like a fair bit has gone down the cavity.

Not sure what he was trying to do. Looks like a fair bit has gone down the cavity.
yeah... that also.
How bad is this? What do I risk here and what should I do now? He said he's going to fix this tomorrow but at this point I don't trust the situation too much. I don't want this to be fixed in a ****ty way that will come back to haunt me in a few year's time...

Sponsored Links
I suspect he does not know what he is doing, so it's difficult for anyone else to know what he was doing either.

Yes it's a potential structural issue, damp issue and insulation issue. Each will need addressing.

I suspect he does not know what he is doing, so it's difficult for anyone else to know what he was doing either.

Yes it's a potential structural issue, damp issue and insulation issue. Each will need addressing.
Well, yeah, I thought as much but my question is: what do I do now? He said tomorrow he will fix it but now I am concerned regarding what he'll actually do to fix it. If he just puts some blocks back and essentially goes back to the original situation, will that be sorted (not the damp part of course)

Have you got a photo of the outside where that dogleg is?
there you go
The part that has been removed is the corner at the first floor, under that under that sort of overhang
1658774712121.jpeg

I can see what he was trying to do now, but was totally wrong. The cavity needs cleaning out and the blockwork rebuilt to how it was.

I can see what he was trying to do now, but was totally wrong. The cavity needs cleaning out and the blockwork rebuilt to how it was.
So, if he just just reconstructs the cavity by placing new blocks, from a structural perspective, everything should be fine?
I very much hope he won't charge me for this :mad:

That was there already, so at least for that, he can't be blamed.

Is your builder a UK builder?

Andy
No, I was very hesitant to give the job to him for that very reason. However, he was recommended by a couple of people I know. For one of them he did an entire extension and it seems that it was done properly.
I will never make this mistake again!

If the wall is put back, it needs to be put back properly - tied in to the surrounding walls properly, the wall above packed properly, tied to the outer wall with steel ties, the cavity thoroughly cleaned out of all debris, and not a load more debris dropped in when he's rebuilding it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back