External Wall Render + 3mm Plaster finish tile max weight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm about to begin tiling the bathroom in our total house renovation.

I've unfortuantlly just found out that there are weight limits (probalbly first mess up so far!) the plasterboard walls are 9.5mm with a 3mm skim on them.

It's a1970's house. It's quite a complex tile layout that will be undertaken also.

Now I've found out that the stud walls as they are with plaster finish can apparently only take 20kg a metre square. Apparnetly plasterboard 12.5mm can take 32kgm - perfect.

I've over boarded with 12.5mm plasterboard on the window wall - initially this was for building out the wall this amount to create a perfect fit so more for aesthetics. It's been plug and screwed in with a lot of 2"/50mm dry wall screws so seems pretty solid.

Now the other walls on the sink wall. The bottom half has been replaced with 12.5mm so this ones ok (pipe works in the wall hence this panel was already done).

Now the upper area needs removing due to weights and re-boarded. Now we have new ceilings already plastered so I don't want to go right up to them in case of damage. I was thinking of leaving maybe 3 inches or maybe a little more strip of the plasterboard/plaster combo at the very top. Would this be ok?

I was going to use the water proof plasterboard sheet behind the shower wall and I also have tanking kits for around the shower/bath area and the floor.

Now the only area I'm not 100% sure on as I've been unable to find it out ( I think... I did see something about render wall taking 50kg)

The bath wall (yellow that was previously floor to ceiling tiled) is block wall - with cement render on top with a 3-4mm plaster finish.

Will this take the same weight as plasterboard?

tolerances are tight in this room so over boarding in many places is not possible.

I've included some photos of the layout.

//www.diynot.com/network/3DGuy/albums/18865

As you can see a lot of work has gone in to this very specific design. From my calculations for the tiles -

Travertine tiles 20.5mm x 40.5mm in size 2.3kg per tile 12mm thickness.

Coverage is about 10.25 tiles per square metre - 23.58kg a metre.

I have plenty of BAL single part flexible adhesive sackes and that's about 4kg average a metre. so it goes to around 28kg a metre square so 4kg within plasterboard weights. I think the compressed moisture board can take 40kg as its more dense.

The window wont really get water on the surface it's only around the shower bath area. I have 2 tanking kits as mentioned also.

Any thoughts would be great, on that exterior wall.

Thanks!
Chris

Sponsored Links
Anyone?

Been trawling the forums but cant see for this setup render + plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back