Tiling onto Celotex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for options and ideas regarding the internal board that will take the tiling of travertine 600x400. Wall is external and is Single timber frame wall clad with Cedar planks on the outside. Have had a couple of suggestions using Celotex PL4000 which is an insulation board bonded to 12.5mm tapered edge plasterboard. Will this type of board take the load of approx 3 square metres of travertine?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the tiles are 12mm thick, each one weighs in at 7.2Kg, per Sq Mtr that is 30Kg, you need to add adhesive and grout to the calculation at approx 4Kg per Sq Mtr.

Plasterboard can take 32Kg/Sq Mtr unskimmed, so i would suggest VERY borderline.

If tiles are 10mm thick then 25Kg per Sq/Mtr + 4Kg addy and grout then no problem.

We need to know the thickness of the tiles, to calculate accurately.

The board will need to be mechanically fixed, and if in a wet area tanked, your other option would be celotex between the studwork, and then AquaPanel or another cement based 12.5mm tile backerboard. This does not need tanking and will take up to 50Kg per Sq/Mtr.

Make sure you use a quality bagged trade adhesive and grout the stuff they sell in the sheds will not be suitable.

Travertine also needs sealing twice BEFORE installation, and again afterwards, i would also suggest you use white adhesive to stop any possibility of the adhesive bleeding through the stone.

Read the sticky at the top of the page, and do a search on here, this subject has been covered many times, and whilst i am not a professional tiler, i have learnt a lot from the site. All of the above information comes from here.

as above the celotex goes between the studs...
what thickness is your studs....but you need to see what thickness off celotex you need to reach your u-values...

then a vapour barrier over stud/celotex then 12.5mm insulated plasterboard then tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back