External waterproof wall socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a external waterproof single wall socket on the outside of my porch wall,I've noticed the waterproof socket with the door flap type are only waterproof without the plug in (?) I take it you can't leave the plug in when raining or am I wrong? So am I right saying if I got these two in the picture,I can then leave the plug in the socket regardless of the weather?
0586_l.jpg
0562_l.jpg

These are from screwfix

Sponsored Links
Thanks,I did get one of those but I wasn't sure if it would be waterproof from rain with a ordinary standard 13A plug specially with the flap door slightly open and I've noticed at the top of the door flap rain could get in,but looking at your picture the socket seems to go in further so I take it you can shut the flap door with the plug in ?
Possibly I may have a wrong one and only waterproof when not in use.

Stick with the Clipsal one you initially show, it's probably one of the better ones and only £10 for the socket and £8 for the plug from Screwfix. I have the same one on two of the outside walls of the house and you can leave the plug in when it's raining

I think TLC sell the socket for approx twice the price

Sponsored Links
the mk one is better, it is waterproof with a normal plug in, which means you dont have to fork out for the special oplugs

The cover will close with a plug in place, and soft rubber inserts grip & seal the flex.

I guess the choice will depend on how many different things you'll want to plug into the socket - if it's only a few, then the Clipsal is just as good, but as the number of appliances mount, then the cost of all those special plugs will become burdensome.

:?: But I'm curious - it's clearly not for a mower/strimmer/hedge-trimmer/scarifier/shredder/vacuum/blower or whatever, as you wouldn't be wanting to leave those out in the rain. What will the socket be for?

ban-all-sheds said:
But I'm curious - it's clearly not for a mower/strimmer/hedge-trimmer/scarifier/shredder/vacuum/blower or whatever, as you wouldn't be wanting to leave those out in the rain. What will the socket be for?

Ahhhhh ! Don't know if this is a good idea or not,I do shiftwork and leave approx 4:45 am and in the cold winter morning with ice built-up on my car windscreen the de-icer don't always shift it and I make enough noise to scrap it off which I don't want to disturb my son's bedroom which is in the front and with the neighbour's plus don't want to leave the engine running either specially when it a diesel engine :!: I sometime then have to pull over halfway up the road as it all start to ice up inside the windscreen :!: and have to wait until the heater warm up to melt it.This can take 15 to 20 mins as the diesel engine take longer to heat up than a petrol engine as it's a low heat engine.What I was thinking is putting in a electric heater blower in my car with a timer switch inside my porch and set it approx 20 minutes before I get up so I can get in and drive off peacefully :!: I would be making something to stop the heater moving etc,I have tried it temporary and seems to works.Can anyone see any danger here :?:
I would still need a externel socket for vacuum-clean the car.

From things I've read, the manufacturers are saying an ordinary household plug top will compromise the "waterproof" feature as the plug tops themselves aren't.
Whereas if you used a rubber type plug top ......

When I had my VW Beetle years ago the only way to see on frosty mornings was to wedge a hot water bottle between s/wheel and screen + arm out of side window giving an occasional spray of de-icer :D :D :D
Aaaah, Happy Days.

Do you live close to work masona, or have you a jumbo extension lead :?: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

bad idea Masona (unatended electric fan) i apreciate your point as i have the same problem (c/w diesel engine) what if the heater hould fall over in the car? your could end up warm, very warm even on fire.

also only certain types of cable should be use outside (i am thinking of below zero temperatures)

For what it's worth I'd use MK every time. Top quality products and the plug top will not compromise the IP rating.

breezer said:
bad idea Masona (unatended electric fan) i apreciate your point as i have the same problem (c/w diesel engine) what if the heater hould fall over in the car? your could end up warm, very warm even on fire.

I was a bit worried about that.Can you get maybe a 12v electric heater with transformer? Thinking about it I suppose it make no difference if the heat is the same.Would a electric bulb works like they do behind the heated door mirror :!: :)

lamps do not get that hot (with a few exceptions) least ways not hot enough to heat a car unless you buy a heat n light lamp which is still not a good idea.

As i said i have the same problem (but no son) i just let the engine tick over for about 5 mins, with the fan / blower off

I HAVE THE SOLOUTION!!! :D
i used to keep repltiles a while back and they have heat mats, these do get quite warm but are 1p65 protected and not hot enough to burn about 20c i thinkyou can pick em up from reptile and pet stores for about £15.00 so just put this on ur window....

BR

In Russia the army keep fires burning under their lorries all winter to stop the diesel from freezing.

Just a thought :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back