Extra cost for steel columns over pier option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm just starting work on a side extension which requires a 4.5m steel beam in place. Along with a few other quotes the steel price plus labour in £2500 using the pier option on this main big steel. If we go for the frame option and use steel columns to support the price shoots up to £5000. Is it really £2500 to install the columns over bricks? i know the steel columns themselves only cost £300 ish each so the rest must be labour charges.

Can anyone advise if this is resonable?

Sponsored Links
The 5K option.
Could be 'picture frame' support then you have to allow for a beam under the floor as well as the uprights, plus the fixing at each of the four corners, which itself is critical and could require welding or expensive hsfg bolts.

Beam sitting on masonry pillar, far cheaper to do.

Thanks for the response.

Spoke to the builder this morning and you're right there is also the beam at ground level. it's still a pretty steep additional expense for this option! Considering the pier protrudes 50cm and the steel option 25 it's possibly not worth the extra expense!

I guess I was wanting to make sure I wasn't being charged too much for the preferred steel option.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
May I ask a question on your thread smoore?

Can a 'picture frame' set up be used wherever a wall is being supported? The reason I ask is that this year I'll be taking out a wall between two rooms. I had drawings/calcs done years ago but never got around to the work.

I remember the drawings showed quite large piers to remain on either side. Could a beam be put across the floor to create a picture frame set up here and reduce the size of the piers?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back