extra outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, this is another question on same issue that i asked few weeks ago. We have a 500w halogen floodlight on gable end, fed from 1.5mm2 twin and earth from a FCU, dont know where FCU is fed from as I havent traced cable yet, im guessing it may come from mains fuse box, as its is only about 1m away. Anyway, i would like to add another light on back of house, after following some advise from this forum (thanks to people that replied) i decided to take another 1.5mm2 cable from terminal block inside existing floodlight to the terminal block inside new light. I want both lights to be on same switch, but both would work independantly as they would have built in PIR's. What i would like to know is, Does the new light have to be a 500w halogen floodlight? as my mum who im doing it for has said she would like a differnt type of light e.g, lantern, or bulkhead.... can this be done if the cable is the same size, 1.5mm2 T&E and the new light has its own pir? i have uploaded a diagram of my intended plan, sorry about rubbish drawing. any help is welcome. Thanks. View media item 17368

Sponsored Links
The light can be any type just watch out for the fuse rating at the spur.

Until you know where the spur is feed from you are restricted to the fuse rating at the spur. If it's a 3a spur then the sum of all lights can't exceed 690w.

The fuse can only be changed to a high value (5a, 7a etc) when you know what circuit it feeds from via turning off the mcb's at the fuse board.

If it's a ring / socket circuit then up to 13a, if it's a lighting circuit rated at 6a and the board, then your really restricted to 690w total.

If the 'mum' just wants a simple light then by choosing an energy saving bulb you should n't go over the 500w (old lamp) + 'x' w (new lamp) = less than 690w.

Hope that helps :)

i decided to take another 1.5mm2 cable from terminal block inside existing floodlight to the terminal block inside new light.
Are you running it around the outside of the house?

Does the new light have to be a 500w halogen floodlight?
Certainly not.

as my mum who im doing it for has said she would like a differnt type of light e.g, lantern, or bulkhead.... can this be done if the cable is the same size, 1.5mm2 T&E and the new light has its own pir?
No problem at all.

In my experience, you may struggle to get all those cores inside a floodlight terminal box.

It may be easier to fit a junction box (weatherproof) at that light position, and split the feed in there.

Sponsored Links
hi, thanks for everyones help. out bathroom light broke about 30mins after posting my question, anyway by removing light fuse i found out that the outside light still worked, so looks like its on the 13a socket circuit. Yes i was going to run cable round house, not to long only about 12m Total, was going to clip it to the underside of the bargeboard/soffit. thanks for mentioning about wires inside the light, if i did use a junction box would that be, "supply cable enters junction box , one cable goes to existing light and another round to the new light? thanks again for everyones help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back