Extra red wire (presumably live) going into ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! I decided to replace an old cracked ceiling rose this weekend. This is something I've done before so wasn't expecting too much hassle and so cheerfully disconnected the old rose without paying too much attention to the way it was wired. Oops! Totally the wrong thing to to. What a nightmare. The ceiling rose is to a hall light. There are two lights in the hall and two switches. Its a pretty standard hallway arrangement where when either switch is turned BOTH lights should come on or off. However, there seems to be an extra lone red wire going into the light. So I have three pairs of standard red black green wires (none of these were marked and I didn't have a red sleeve black wire, but through trial and error I think I've worked out which are the loop and which are the switch) which I have managed to wire back up to get the loop working again (so at least now the rest of the lights in my house are coming on). But I can't get the hall lights to work properly again. It seems that the spare red was originally double wired (i'm guessing) into one of the live terminals with another one of the red wires. But no matter which one I put it back into the lights just don't work correctly. Depending on which terminal I wire it into I get one of the following:

1) either one hall light or the other one will switch on but not both at the same time, but the switch does nothing and I can't turn the lights off.

2) or the hall light switch turns the bedroom light on and off, the lounge the hall, the bedroom the lounge etc.

If I wire the whole ceiling rose backwards (so the blacks go into the red terminals and reds into blacks then I can at least manage to get all the lights in the flat working with the following anomaly in the hall, that only one hall light or the other will come on and the switch toggles between the two lights. So at present I have left it like this and take the bulb out of one of the hall lights so I can now switch the other one off.

So what am I doing wrong? I've never seen anything like this before. I'd really appreciate some advice. I'm actually giving thought to trying to wire this stray red into the black switch wire and I'm questioning if it is even coloured correctly, but I'll probably blow the house up!!!

Sponsored Links
I'm actually giving thought to trying to wire this stray red into the black switch wire and I'm questioning if it is even coloured correctly, but I'll probably blow the house up!!!
When in a situation of not being 100% sure what wires are for, NEVER connect different ones together to see what happens.

Sponsored Links
This almost explains it, but I guess what I forgot to add is that one of the hall lights is on a spur and not part of the main circuit so only has one set of wires going into it.

It seems most like the Conduit method in the diagrams you attached (thanks for that, very useful) but this seems to still assume ever wire comes in pairs. This is just a single red covered wire sheathed in grey insulating cable. There is no black wire in pair with it, and yet I already have 3 full sets of red and black. So at the moment in the ceiling rose i have:

Blue (lamp holder), Black Black (loop) Red Red (Loop) Red (switch) Black (Switch) Brown (Lamp Holder) + spare red.

I can see that actually it should be:

Blue (lamp holder) Black Black (Loop) Red (Switch) Red Red (in same connection - Loop) Red (Switch) Black Black (Switch).

But I seem to then be missing an extra red sheathed black. Would this be dangerous?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back