Extra Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm new to this and wondered if anyone could help. I'm trying to add some extra sockets in my bedroom and the only socket is in the far corner of the room. Someone has told me I can run a socket from a light switch, does anyone know if this is possible and how I would go about doing this?

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
no. you can definatly not run a socket from a lighting circuit for general use.

Don't listen to that somebody, they have no idea whay they're talking about.

You're best employing the services of a competant electrician.

Blimey! Is it April Fool's Day already?

Doesn't time fly?

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
Don't listen to that somebody, they have no idea whay they're talking about.

You're best employing the services of a competant electrician.

Thanks for this, is it possible from the light switch or would you need to do it from further along the circuit?

Thanks again

Forget the lighting circuit. It's a no-go.

Please consult a competant electrician as I fear for the safety of you and others that share the property with questions like this.
To successfully DIY when it comes to electrics you need a good basic understanding of simple circuits. You don't have this yet.

Forget the lighting circuit. It's a no-go.

Please consult a competant electrician as I fear for the safety of you and others that share the property with questions like this.
To successfully DIY when it comes to electrics you need a good basic understanding of simple circuits. You don't have this yet.

Ok, that agin for this, I was listening to your original reply just trying to get a better understanding of what would be required.

Can you not read.????

It is not possible to connect a socket to a light switch. Period.
In many cases you cannot even connect a light up to a light switch so do not even think about it any more,.

OK?

Thought gone? Do you promise not to mention it again?

Fine.

The way to do it is to extend the circuit from the existing socket. this needs some expertise and understanding of how ring final circuits work - if you have got one.

The WIKI has a diagram on how this may be done look at //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:extend_ring

But I really think you should follow the advice above and get someone in.

I hadn't realised that the members here were so suceptible to wind-up posts - particularly transparent and pathetic ones, such as this - until now.......

Lucia.

It screams of windup but just in case is wasn't I thought it best to clear up an apparent misunderstanding.

These posts are there for anybody to read.

Just wanted to add an extra point, I don't understand why people have to post if they have nothing constructive to add. The only person who has added anything of value for me is GaryMo.

Everyone else who jumped on me being patronizing as I just asked an extra question to try to understand better needs to get a life! Your not exactly encouraging people to post when you react like that!!

what's more likely to get your attention..
one guy saying to you quietly and calmly "don't stand there, there's a bus coming" or a group of people shouting and screaming at you "Oi, Idiot, there's a bus stopping there in a minute.."?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back