Extraction nightmare

securespark said:
Venting into the stack? :!:

The idea of a extract fan is to improve air quality....

extractor fans extract air from the room, so provided the fan closes off when not running and the fan is above the last place where **** joins this might just work, probablly violates some kind of reg though.

how many floors does this house have? how does the soil pipe run?

Sponsored Links
Apologies for the late response, I've been away. Its a 2 storey mid terrace property. The toilet is on the first floor with the bathroom directly above on the 2nd floor. The soil stack runs down the middle of the house along the party wall.

Quasar27,
if theres no detrius falling from above then the only problem you have is rising gas, for a tight non return vent spigot use an underground drainage non return valve :eek:) simples.

dawdell:

1) Your post doesn't sound like it has anything to do with Quasar's problem. OK - I'm not a drainage expert, but to me it did sound as though his issue was the smell cause by people taking a dump, not by anything to do with stuff rising or falling in the stack.

2) Whatever the problem was I don't suppose he's still struggling to find a solution after more than 3½ years.....

Sponsored Links
ban all sheds,
his issue was air extract from the toilet and where to vent it, regardless of how old the item is, it is worth discussion. He was advised to think about the soil stack, this was recieved here with much mirth. For your info, the soil stack is for venting sewage gasses.
As I said the only drawback to using this, is sewage gas may vent into the toilet. As there is no recognised way to prevent this I suggested using an underground drainage non return valve as the dimensions are correct and there is a non return flap to provide resistance against sewage gas flowing to the toilet, taking the path of least resistance would ensure its vented to atmosphere.

ban all sheds,
his issue was air extract from the toilet and where to vent it, regardless of how old the item is, it is worth discussion. He was advised to think about the soil stack, this was recieved here with much mirth. For your info, the soil stack is for venting sewage gasses.

You said it yourself. It is for venting sewage gases, not stale air. Using it as a convenient location to vent an extractor fan sounds like an extremely bad idea. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it seems quite plausible that there could be methane buildup in there, so attaching electrical devices into the air path just seems like a bad idea. It probably also contravenes some building regulation(s).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back