New ensuite and Building approval?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I am Thinking of having a new ensuite installed taking space from the bedroom, Is there a minimum size it needs to be either width or length stated in the building regs (as opposed to what peoples are opinions are on usable size)

Will this work require building control approval?

What work will need to meet the regs and if poss what are they?

I am thinking, Soil pipe from new toilet to existing stack, shower/sink waste, ventilation/extraction (no window) Electrics (lighting,extraction)

In addition I will be changing to an unvented cylinder which I have already had quoted by a G3 qualified installer.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated

cheers

Sponsored Links
There is no minimum size, only what is practical.

BC will be interested in extraction and electrics. They may also comment on the radiator (TRV), and the types of traps used and distance to SVP, air admittance etc.

Thanks for your response nose all

As far as electrics are concerned will BC's interest be localised to new additions in ensuite or include the consumer unit as well?

As far as ventilation extraction is concerned is there a min volume that needs to be removed if room has no window? I believe the extraction unit has to be timed to run for 15 mins and be tied with the light switch?

With wase extraction I assume this will amount to fall to soil stack as well as type of traps and aa?

Is a radiator a necessity under regs?

Ensuite next to bathroom (solid wall between) stud wall between ensuite and bedroom, is insulation required for sound proofing according to regs?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
As far as electrics are concerned will BC's interest be localised to new additions in ensuite or include the consumer unit as well?
They will only be interested in a legitimate certificate. If your leccy man is not registered then they will inspect any new circuits etc including the carcassing work prior to second fix.
As far as ventilation extraction is concerned is there a min volume that needs to be removed if room has no window? I believe the extraction unit has to be timed to run for 15 mins and be tied with the light switch?
There is a minimum volume extraction required but few BCO's actually bother to check the extraction rate. It can be a separate switch from the light but it is required to overrun if it is tied into the light switch. Both of our extractors can be isolated with a switch if we wish.

With wase extraction I assume this will amount to fall to soil stack as well as type of traps and aa?

Is a radiator a necessity under regs?

Ensuite next to bathroom (solid wall between) stud wall between ensuite and bedroom, is insulation required for sound proofing according to regs?
All of the above are not necessarily parts of the BCO checking process, but some diligent officers may comment and advise. No a radiator is not enforced under reg's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back